Cataloging Finished Meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Peterson

Reaction score
Good evening folks.

As I start to put more and more mead into bottles for future consumption, I realized that I needed to come up with a method to distinguish one batch from another.

I bottle everything in clear 12 ounce or 750 ml crown cap bottles. As I reuse the bottles, I have been apprehensive to use adhesive labels that I have to try to remove in the future.

My poor man’s solution was 3/4 inch Avery circular labels. The different color labels/stickers help me to distinguish quickly between the finished meads. I also write the date the must was mixed and the batch number to correspond with the crude brew logs that I keep.

As the sticker is applied to the crown cap, I don’t have to address the adhesive residue when I go to reuse the bottle. Also, I can quickly see what’s what when I open the case.

Avery sells white stickers that can be printed on with an inkjet printer. Would make it easy to shrink the font and add more detail.

Anyone else here have methodology for cataloging your meads?

Im hoping I can put enough up to fight off me drinking it all before it’s prime.

Todd Peterson

Attachments

• 4374720D-3526-4D5E-9AFB-93DA737AD7C0.jpeg
    4374720D-3526-4D5E-9AFB-93DA737AD7C0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
that's what i used to use sticky dots on the beers i bottled. cheap and easy. or a sharpie marker on the cap. but color stands out until you get so many you run out of colors. i didnt have that problem though.

I use return labels.
You get 4 lines of text, so I find that I have enough info on the labeling.

My downside is that I can't identify by the top, but mine are grouped in boxes while using beer bottles and I put wine bottles together while storing, so it hasn't been an issue for myself.

The labels are pretty small and the adhesive is never an issue when it comes to removing it.

I use Beerlabelizer [they have many free options] print them on an ink jet printer cut them out and use Elmer's glue sticks. (Idea from the grandkids) ink jet doesn't run and the glue stick washes off with a little warm water.

Attachments

• 20230712_184448.jpg
    20230712_184448.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
i still prefer the sticky dot on the cap. Just keep a master list of color codes, if run out of colors start numbering or lettering also. De-labeled them bottles once don't want to do it again. but bottling days are pretty much over for me with beer and kegs. Don't make enough mead to label, just the year on the box.

use fancier labels if entering a comp i suppose. but with family and friends the content in the bottle is all that matters.

Back