You Do Not Get Enough Yield From Your Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisbklein

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wondering what type of yield you get from your fermenter bottle/bucket?

How low do you go down while being careful not to suck up too much of the heavy sediment at the bottom?

Don't think I went low enough, it was a Belgian Ale, not hoppy and no real big chunks.

What do you guys think, go until it clogs or play it safe and only get out the "perfect pint"?

Thanks!

20150305_181901.jpg%20%281836%C3%973264%29%20-%20Google%20Chrome%202015-03-06%2019.20.59.jpg

Lower than that! I generally put the autosiphon a bit into the trub, and try to drain until the liquid level is just about the the trub line (when I start to see "islands" of trub appearing above the liquid level). I keg, so any sediment just drops out in the first week or so anyhow.

Bottlers should probably stop short. Otherwise you're going to have some bottles with a scary amount of sediment. I think you could have done much better there. You should have very good control with the ported better bottle since you can adjust that dip tube. Perhaps consider tilting the BB by setting a book under the back of it.

If you keg, you can go until you start sucking trub. that's what I do. I might dump the first glass from the keg, but that's it.

You stop way before I do, at least in that pic. I will siphon until I start to see sediment in my line. Whatever makes it into the next fermenter/bottles will clear once it is chilled

I usually put the autosiphon to the bottom and then when the level of the beer is getting pretty low I tilt the fermenter so I only leave about 1/4 cup. The autosiphon will suck up a little yeast but that yeast has flocculated so it settles out quickly in the bottom of the bottling bucket and doesn't get into any bottles except the last one where I tilt the bucket far over trying to get enough beer to fill one more bottle.

I usually put the autosiphon to the bottom and then when the level of the beer is getting pretty low I tilt the fermenter so I only leave about 1/4 cup. The autosiphon will suck up a little yeast but that yeast has flocculated so it settles out quickly in the bottom of the bottling bucket and doesn't get into any bottles except the last one where I tilt the bucket far over trying to get enough beer to fill one more bottle.

I do similar. I take the siphon down about 3/4 of the way and then watch it as I get to the bottom, then tilt the carboy. Since I keg, anything that gets though usually comes out the first pint or stays on the bottom.

What seems to work for me is starting the siphon with the end of the tube about 3/4 of the way into the bucket, then slowly lower it until I JUST start to see solids getting aspirated: when looking at the siphon tube in the light it will grow hazier. Then I quickly pull the tube back up until I'm running clear, and that's where I leave it for the rest of the siphon. I figure I'm getting a wee bit of trub, but that wee bit agitated into 5+ gallons as it mixes in the bottling bucket is a negligible amount per bottle...

Just my MO...

What seems to work for me is starting the siphon with the end of the tube about 3/4 of the way into the bucket, then slowly lower it until I JUST start to see solids getting aspirated: when looking at the siphon tube in the light it will grow hazier. Then I quickly pull the tube back up until I'm running clear, and that's where I leave it for the rest of the siphon. I figure I'm getting a wee bit of trub, but that wee bit agitated into 5+ gallons as it mixes in the bottling bucket is a negligible amount per bottle...

Just my MO...

I do this and leave literally a trace amount of liquid in the primary. The hops and gunk will drop straight to the bottom of the bottling bucket anyway if you do suck some up. So I'll bottle as many beers as I can and the last 3 get marked special and those are the first 3 I'll try when carb checking. All other beers after those 3 are void of sediment. It's worked well so far.

You stop way before I do, at least in that pic. I will siphon until I start to see sediment in my line. Whatever makes it into the next fermenter/bottles will clear once it is chilled

I do this too, I stopped worrying about sucking trub early on. I siphon until the line is cloudy and let it settle during carb / chill. I do 2.5gal all grain, dump the whole boil kettle contents into the fermenter and want to get every last drop I can get when bottling.

Back