Yet another....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
starter question. I am going to be brewing an IPA that has an O.G. = 1.072. If I am going to be using dry yeast is it recomended to do a starter or just rehydrate as normal? It seems like it might be a bit too big to not do a starter, but I have never heard of someone here doing a starter with dry yeast.

Or should I buy extra yeast and pitch two packets?

ArroganceFan said:
starter question. I am going to be brewing an IPA that has an O.G. = 1.072. If I am going to be using dry yeast is it recomended to do a starter or just rehydrate as normal? It seems like it might be a bit too big to not do a starter, but I have never heard of someone here doing a starter with dry yeast.

Or should I buy extra yeast and pitch two packets?

Personally, I don't think starters make sense with dry yeast, especially if you use DME to make the starter. The cost of the DME can be as much as the yeast, so you might as well just buy two packets of yeast.

For higher gravity beers, ALWAYS rehydrate properly though. You lose up to 50% of your viable yeast cells if you skip that step.

On Jamil Z's website (mrmalty.com), he has a great yeast pitching rate calculator. Use that to figure out exactly how many packets of yeast you will need.

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for the great refernce and the quick replies.

Acording to that calculator I only need 1.2 11.5g packets. Would 2 packets result in an overpitch?

ArroganceFan said:
Thanks for the great refernce and the quick replies.

Acording to that calculator I only need 1.2 11.5g packets. Would 2 packets result in an overpitch?
I would go with just one. Jamil is pretty keen on 'optimum' pitching rates, so you can probably do just fine with less than he recommends.

If you want to pitch two packets, that would be fine too. You probably wouldn't overpitch unless you tripled or quadrupled those recommended pitching rates.

I'm with FlyGuy - either will be fine. Do not, however, make a starter with dry yeast as it has been produced under ideal conditions to create yeast that are ready to femernet your wort once they are re-hydrated. You will be wasting that preparation if you make a starter.

Back