Yes, another 5.0 cu foot keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theschick

Reaction score
I, along with a massive amount of people over the holiday season, decided to build a keezer. It received the wife's approval, and didn't have to go in the unfinished basement. I can fit 3 kegs and the co2 tank inside. I really had no wood working experience, nor tools. I had Lowes cut the wood for the collar, and I used a hack saw for the trim. It was a white freezer, and I tried painting it with black appliance paint. That turned out very uneven, so I went over it with epoxy paint instead.

The tap handles I made using parts of I found at the store, like table legs. Used chalkboard paint, which worked out really well. I tiled the top, which I really like the look.

20120123_0756.jpg

20120123_0757.jpg

20120123_0758.jpg

Very nice. Looks good

I am getting ready to start kegging and have been looking for an idea for a keezer build that is not too involved, but still looks nice enough to be in the house and not relegated to the garage. This one might just do the trick

Wow that looks like a lot of work.:rockin:

I like those taps. Do they make dry erase versions?

edit: LOL I thought those were bought.

WOW! i am about to start putting together everything i need so the batch I brewed yesterday will be kegged, so sick of bottling. THIS is what i wish to end up with, just. Tad larger to hold more kegs. LOVE the chalkboard handles.

Wow! That looks awesome!!

At first glance I thought you had a 36% beer. Had to do a second take.

If I built one like that, the wife would probably let me keep it in the house!!

Schick....very nice piece!!! It looks great!! Does your keezer lid open up by itself or with the collar?

It opens at the base of the collar. I used the factory hinges to connect it. I'm a little weary about all the weight (the tile added a lot), so I always use a extra piece of wood to help prop the collar when I open it. I figure it would be better safe than sorry.

theschick said:
It opens at the base of the collar. I used the factory hinges to connect it. I'm a little weary about all the weight (the tile added a lot), so I always use a extra piece of wood to help prop the collar when I open it. I figure it would be better safe than sorry.

So how is the top piece attached to the top of the freezer? Sorry for all of the questions

No problem...The collar is the entire top piece. It is connected to the keezer with the factory hinges. So, it works exactly like the original lid, just much bigger. Some people build a collar and attach the original lid to that. I decided to throw out the original lid, and built a solid collar top that I tiled. Make sense?

That looks great, saves space too! I'd like 4-5 kegs but I think that design is slick. Might have to steal a few ideas. :)

theschick said:
No problem...The collar is the entire top piece. It is connected to the keezer with the factory hinges. So, it works exactly like the original lid, just much bigger. Some people build a collar and attach the original lid to that. I decided to throw out the original lid, and built a solid collar top that I tiled. Make sense?

Gotcha. I appreciate the fast responses

Again, I love your build. Did you insulate the inside of your new collar and top? Also , what kind I'd weather striping did you use under the collar. Again, sorry for the questions. I've been looking at designs for months and something yours is very appealing to me. I'm not too good at working either!!!

I just got myself a 5.0 cuft freezer too, but I can only fit 2 kegs in it, can you get a picture of the inside so I can see how you are arranging your kegs? I have 2 5 gal corny kegs, are you using something different? I have not heard of epoxy paint, did you have to brush it on or is it sprayable. My talents are limited in this area so any help along the way would be great.

I did insulate the collar, ended up putting two layers of this blue insulation. I could have just bought the thicker stuff to save time. The problem I had with fitting 3 kegs is the one on the hump was a little tall, and hitting the foam insulation (I didn't account for it when I built it). But, I also have a converted pin lock keg, which is shorter. Using that, I am able to fit it on the hump, and have the clearance.

Here are some cell phone pics of the inside:
IMG_20120214_091414.jpg

IMG_20120214_091449.jpg

I'm sure you have thought of this already, but it looks like you'd have room to fit another keg if you moved the co2 outside, perhaps behind the freezer. It would be better for your regulator too, not having the condensation build inside the internals and all.

Maybe it is just an optical illusion though! Sweet build for sure

Kind of a noob but was wondering since this is a freezer, do you just leave it un plugged... If so what is the temp of the beer? Ive been trying to figure out how to get my 5gal keg to 38 degrees. I have a spare fridge in the garage but with five people in the house, it's full. That said I love this idea!!

Kind of a noob but was wondering since this is a freezer, do you just leave it un plugged... If so what is the temp of the beer? Ive been trying to figure out how to get my 5gal keg to 38 degrees. I have a spare fridge in the garage but with five people in the house, it's full. That said I love this idea!!

1. sams club ge 7.0
2. amazon johnson controller

craigslist for the freezer and amazon for the johnson controller. Make sure to get at least a 5.0, hard to fit 2 kegs in a 3.6 cuft freezer, besides unless you get lucky on craigs list they are more expensive than the 5.0

Latest posts

Back