Yep I really did this!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz1086

Reaction score
So I had my cousin in town who was home from Iraq. So I decided to introduce him to the wonderful world of brewing. He was pretty pumped and so was I. So were Brewed a DFH 90 min clone and a Hefe. A day after after brewing we went and checked on the fermentation and the DFH was bubbling like crazy, but the hefe was not. I pressed down on top of the lip just to see if there was any pressure and none. So i told him do get down it'll be fine we'll check it tomorrow. We went ahead and checked it and nothing. So I went ahead and opened it and decided to try gave it a good stir to make sure there was enough oxygen. Still nothing! So I finally decided to go ahead and go to the local LHBS and pick up a new vial of yeast. We came back home and were ready to repitch when all of a sudden I looked down and noticed the three piece bubblers water level was really low. So I shook my head filled it back up to the line and place it back on the bucket and what do you know it starts bubbling. Way to go on my part. ha ha :mug:

Just another reason why you shouldn't use a bubbling airlock as an indicator of fermentation.

I completely disagree. If the airlock is not bubbling, something is wrong. In this case, there was no water in the airlock and the water is there for a reason, without it the airlock isnt functioning.

But I agree that you shouldnt use a bubbling airlock as the ONLY indicator of fermentation - but for the most part its the easiest and safest way to check. No opening of the lid, and if its bubbling something is happening. Only when its not bubbling is further investigation required.

I am with DocRob here. If the bubbler is not bubbling and it is put together right, something is wrong. Either the lid is not sealed or the yeast is unhappy. If you assume everyone uses glass carboys then you can say that using the bubbler is unnecessary; if you are using a bucket, however, you can not physically see the brew and probably don't want to start losing ounces of the brew to hydro samples that early.

Glad the beer is on track!

Latest posts

Back