Yeast Washing and Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger

Reaction score
I'm rather new to homebrewing with maybe 5 batches of passable all-grain brews under my belt. I've been using dry yeast in every batch, but I'm curious and thinking of washing yeast off my two current batches. I've never tried it before but doesn't look too difficult.

The thing is, I use Gelatin in the primary to clear out the beer before racking to a keg. Would this adversely affect the washing of yeast, or is it no big deal? Also, to add, I would really rather not add the gelatin to the keg to avoid having it on the yeast cake.

Thanks

I have done it a few times. Didn't notice any ill effects.

Now I transfer to another fermenter, gel and crash cool because it seems to come out clearer when I rack off less of a cake. I harvest after the first transfer. YMMV.

Yeah, i thought about racking to a secondary, but both my carboys are in use right now, meaning at the least I would have to buy a third. Not generally a problem, but my SWMBO doesn't get my hobby and any money spent is met with rolling eyes that don't understand why I can't just buy a case of Coors Light like the rest of the world.

After breaking my last carboy I switched to buckets. They're great. Light, easy to clean, stackable and cheap at 11$.

True, but I so love being able to see the fermenting and yeast cake and whatnot. Maybe weird, but I like it.

Back