Gelatine added to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickdeath

Reaction score
I’m new to brewing but already obsessed with having a clear beer. I added whirlfloc to my latest creation, Old Speckled Hen clone from Brewfather. I have been reading that I can add hot water containing gelatin to my brew once kegged to help clear it further. Is this true and would I need to get water to same ph as the brew ?

Chill newly fermented beer down to cold serving temp, like 35F. Mix 2/3 cups of water and 1 tsp of unflavored gelatin in a microwavable measuring cup. Heat to around 150F, add to cold beer, give keg a wee swirl and start carbonating.
Awesome thank you!!

As others have said, the gelatin will help clear things up. Anecdotally, I had an orange cream ale I wanted to be very clear, and after a 2 day cold crash, added gelatin, waited another 2 days, and then bottle conditioned it. It came out crystal clear, and the flavor wasn't affected, definitely a fan of the gelatin.

It is probably much better in the keg, the gelatin can make it take a while to carbonate in bottles.

I have a beer I put gelatin along with priming sugar in a pin for a July 4th party. It's at 72* ,and will get chilled to 33* in 2 weeks. I hope that's enough time to carb up.

I know I was to add isinglass but only had gelatin. I'm hoping that the action of re-fermentation will keep it in suspension until I chill it to server. Need 72* to carb it up ion 2 weeks,and it's a 2565 fermented one and I'd like to serve it as clear as possible.
When you give a clear homebrew to some people they can't believe you made it, and I love that!

So far great advice in this thread but just want to mention that I haven't seen yet. Is after 24 to 48 hours of the gelatin doing its thing. All of the material it pulled out of solution will now be in the bottom of a keg. So your first two maybe three pints can be super cloudy and really gross looking. So just keep that in mind. That's exactly what's supposed to happen. Nothing is wrong in that situation.

So far great advice in this thread but just want to mention that I haven't seen yet. Is after 24 to 48 hours of the gelatin doing its thing. All of the material it pulled out of solution will now be in the bottom of a keg. So your first two maybe three pints can be super cloudy and really gross looking. So just keep that in mind. That's exactly what's supposed to happen. Nothing is wrong in that situation.
Beer is looking clear. But after pouring it had a minimal head, some “fizz” that quickly dissipated and left the beer looking flat with a bit of foam on top. Beer is old speckled hen btw, pappys recipe from Brewfather.

Beer is looking clear. But after pouring it had a minimal head, some “fizz” that quickly dissipated and left the beer looking flat with a bit of foam on top. Beer is old speckled hen btw, pappys recipe from Brewfather.

This stuff works way better imo. No heating up gelatin to dissolve etc. I use 0.5-1oz per 5 gallons in keg, before racking beer and get crystal clear beer within a week.

Back