Yeast Washed for tomorrow, possible issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahless

Reaction score
I washed some Safbrew T-58 from the trub of the primary after I used it to make a witbier.

I harvested by spooning what looked like a creamy mostly yeast layer from the bottom of the fermenter into jars, added long-boiled and cooled water, shook, left for 20 minutes and then poured off whatever remained in suspension into two jars.

These have been in the fridge over the weekend, and this is the result:
R1qKMNj.jpg

The whole thing is very pale (looks even more pale without the flash), but It looks like I only got about 7-10ml of whiteish yeast, if that even is the yeast layer, somehow sitting inbetween two slightly muddier layers.

I am looking for 70ml of thick slurry to pitch directly based on the Mr malty slurry pitching rate calculator, and I really don't want to overpitch with this next beer as I am looking to get a lot of esters by fermenting a Belgian Blonde at a warmer temperature.

Am I confusing the layers or have I really only got a tiny handful of yeast? (Which means i've bottled the rest :eek:)

Back