Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenatibrewer

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast starter yesterday, it was still bubbling (it was made 2days earlier), is that OK, or should you wait till fermentation is done and the yeast settles to the bottom?

anyway my wit stated bubbling about 4hrs after pitching!!!!

Some people (me included) do exactly what you did. Others wait for the yeast to settle, decant, and pitch just the yeast slurry. Neither is right or wrong.

-a.

I pitched my yeast starter yesterday, it was still bubbling (it was made 2days earlier), is that OK, or should you wait till fermentation is done and the yeast settles to the bottom?

I think you answered your own question with your next sentence:

thenatibrewer said:
anyway my wit stated bubbling about 4hrs after pitching!!!!

It'll work either way. I like to decant and just pitch the slurry, but really it doesn't matter.

Here's what Palmer has to say;

How to brew said:
A yeast starter is ready to pitch anytime after it has attained high krausen (full activity), and for about a day or two after it has settled out, depending on the temperature. Colder conditions allow the yeast to be stored longer before pitching to a new wort. Yeast starters that have settled out and sat at room temperature for more than a couple days should be fed fresh wort and allowed to attain high krausen before pitching.

Back