Yeast OR Bacteria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaMania

Reaction score
Hello, here is yet another perhaps, overly concerned newb question.

I had a pack of Coopers Ale yeast (little gold pack) that I had pitched into a stout extract brew. When I opened the yeast it gave off a strong smell... But I put it in as I noticed the smell, so I ran with it. After 1 week, the strong yeast smell still lingers, but after a transfer to a second fermenter, and then a bit of time in the fridge before bottling day, the smell has somewhat vanished, so that's very good news. However, when I was getting ready to bottle and I open the lid on the 2ndary fermenter, I notice... what looks like tiny round/specks of yeast colored things. I just sat, staring over the fermenter and more and more begin to pop up, here, then there, then here.... Is this just the yeast flocculating to the top? I had the 2ndary in the fridge for about 1 day and back out 1 day before bottling. Cant take Pictures, phone is sheisty.

Sounds like little yeast rafts. How does the beer taste? How does it smell? If it taste and smells like you would expect then your probably ok.

Cooper's ale yeast packets always smelled like yeasty white grapes to me. Those were probably lil yeast rafts floating to the top.

Not exactly what i was expecting, that particular batch of yeast may have had something wrong.... very pungent. But with age, its smelling better, and doesnt send my taste buds into shock anymore.

Next time I would wait longer than a week to transfer. The only way to really know if it is done fermenting is with a hydrometer. If you don't have one I would pick one up.

Back