Yeast on the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekelBira

Reaction score
I've posted about my first attempt with an IPA extract kit with a couple of grains soaked before the boil. Activity was very good starting within few hours and reduced to a buble per 70 seconds (80 hours later). I racked from primary carboy to secondary 5 gallon carboy payin gattention not to get any sediments from the bottom.
Next morning I had a pretty good layer of yeast looking sediment at the bottom. Now it is been two days in the secondary and I see few bubles started again bringing small pieces of yeat to the surface.
My question is whether I am going to be getting ill effects of yeast being in the secondary (resting) carboy? I recall reading about yeast spoiling and releasing unwanted flavors. Should I rack it again?
I am suffering from not having seen brewing before this my own attempt.:eek:

Let it ferment out. You should have waited until all signs of fermentation was finished before racking. Beer don't always follow a time schedule but makes its own time in brewing.
Basically, leave it for a couple of weeks and it should settle down and clear out to make a good brew.
Cheers

My understanding was it was time to rack it to the scondary when the bubles are less than a minute which was the case fo rmine. :confused:

TekelBira said:
My understanding was it was time to rack it to the scondary when the bubles are less than a minute which was the case fo rmine. :confused:

that more of a guideline than an actual rule. You're making beer, have fun and relax :mug:

You are doing fine and so is your ale. Sometimes racking the wort mixes things up enough the yeast start working again. That's good, you want as much of the sugar converted as possible. The yeast will finish up & settle out. Beer sitting on the cake for months after all activity is over isn't a good idea because the yeast start dying.

Take another look here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9840

There's no great rush about racking - you can leave you beer in a fermenter with no real cause for concern for two weeks, even three (pushing it a little), before you have any need to even consider the impact of dying yeast. And no matter how carefully you siphon, you will always accumulate some sediment, in your fermenters, your bottles or your kegs. This is actually a good thing - it means that your yeast is still alive and your beer is still maturing.

Back