yeast nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathon06

Reaction score
I bought yeast nutrient for a cider and have so much left I am using it in my beer. I added the nutrient directly into the carboy when I pitched the yeast and was ttold later I should have put it in the boil. Of course I now have concerns with contamination. Do I need to be concerned?

Probably nothing to be concerned about. Isn't that the same way you use it with cider? In any case, i would just throw the nutrient in near the end of the boil. No worries at all that way. Cheers!

yeah, i wouldn't sweat it. unless you have a reason to think the nutrient was contaminated, you're surely be fine. next time just throw it in at flameout, then you'll have no worries.

solavirtus said:
Probably nothing to be concerned about. Isn't that the same way you use it with cider? In any case, i would just throw the nutrient in near the end of the boil. No worries at all that way. Cheers!

Yes, that is how I did it with the cider but the package was unopened when I added to the cider. Thanks for your thoughts. I won't sweat it.

Wow, I'm glad I found this post as I had the same question, but let me elaborate:
Why is it okay to add un-sanitized yeast nutrient mix to wine or cider, but not beer? And by "un-sanitized" I mean, not pre-boiled water. I'm very new to ciders and wines, but from what I've read there's never any mention about boiling water(in fact it recommends tap water) or sanitation. Is it just understood or does the high ABV of wine make it less of a risk?
http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wineyeastrehydration09.pdf

Thanks,
Andy

Latest posts

Back