Yeast for Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseballstar4

Reaction score
I am looking on any opinions for the type of yeast to use on a coffee stout I am looking to brew. I have always used wyeast 1084 Irish Ale for all of my stouts, but thinking that there might be a better alternative out there.

I am looking on any opinions for the type of yeast to use on a coffee stout I am looking to brew. I have always used wyeast 1084 Irish Ale for all of my stouts, but thinking that there might be a better alternative out there.

As for Wyeast I use 1028 or 1056 for my Stouts...for White Labs I use WLPO22, one of my favorites...but that's how I roll!

The last time I used 004 Irish Ale yeast, it got stuck at 1.024 and wouldn't budge. It was probably my fault (high mash temp), but I started using WLP028 Edinburgh yeast for my stouts, and it has been very successful.

But really, if you've done well with the Irish in the past, stick with that. Is there a reason you want to change?

The last time I used 004 Irish Ale yeast, it got stuck at 1.024 and wouldn't budge. It was probably my fault (high mash temp), but I started using WLP028 Edinburgh yeast for my stouts, and it has been very successful.

But really, if you've done well with the Irish in the past, stick with that. Is there a reason you want to change?

Just seeing if there might be a different/better option out there. Always looking to improve

Used Wyeast 1945 NeoBrittania on my recent sweet stout. Only about 2 weeks into bottle conditioning, but really liking it.

I used Wyeast 1084 on a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout clone and just steeped 4 oz of ground Starbucks overnight, threw in a grain bag, left in secondary for about 18 hours and the coffee flavor/aroma came through really nice.

I bottled and the one thing I noticed was that the priming sugar amount wasn't enough. Not sure if the oils from the coffee had anything to do with it. If you're kegging, carbing shouldn't be an issue but for bottling I would bump up the priming sugar a little.

I made an Imperial Coffee Stout with Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite. It's got an obscenely delicious mouth feel.

+1 on a little extra priming sugar, though that depends on how you're getting the coffee in there.

If you're coldbrewing don't adjust it. If you're steeping crushed beans then yes the oils will affect carbonation levels (in my experience) so I'd use figures for .2 carb units higher than you want and go with those. I'm not an expert but I have made 4 or 5 coffee stouts now with different methods. My prefered is cold brewed coffee at bottling time.

:rockin: godspeed man and enjoy it.

Used Wyeast 1945 NeoBrittania on my recent sweet stout. Only about 2 weeks into bottle conditioning, but really liking it.

I'll second this one... mine turned out nice. Sweet Espresso Stout (NB's sweet stout kit with the NeoBrittania yeast and 1/4 lb of espresso cold brewed) :mug:

I'll second this one... mine turned out nice. Sweet Espresso Stout (NB's sweet stout kit with the NeoBrittania yeast and 1/4 lb of espresso cold brewed) :mug:

Where did you find that yeast? on line store, my LHBS said he hadn't heard of it.

Back