Yeast for a Robust Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go... Depending on what you're looking to get from the yeast, pick one of the four listed. My preference would be 1275 (from that list). You can also use 1728 if you don't care that it's not on the list.

I really like notty for porters. Cheap, easy and good results.

I used WLP002 for my Chai Robust Porter, perfect attenuation, worked happily at 68F with three weeks in primary

For an American robust porter, I use WLP001/WY1056/US-05. For more of an English style, I have used WLP002, Nottingham, and S-04, all of which came out great.

Well I used S-04 for my Robust Porter on monday. Pitched 2 packs. 1.064 OG. Down to 1.012 right meow, but it's fruity as all hell. Temps were in the low 60's the whole time. I didn't know if Porter will throw off flavors like that when it's real young, or the yeast just got away from me. Any thoughts?

S-04 will give you some fruity aromas and flavors, which are fairly common in an English-style porter. BJCP style guidelines for robust porter call for "moderate to none" for fruity esters. If you used English hops, or hops with English characteristics like Willamette, then it's totally fine. IMO it does clash a bit if you used American hops and they are prominent. For low hopped versions I don't really care so much.

I used Target for hops. Mainly for bittering only and to get me up to about 35 IBUs. Not looking for much flavor, just bittering.

I use the 1084 for my Irish ale and a big Baltic Porter. The porter gets raves, starts with a hint of molasses and finishes with nice hop and slight bitterness.

I love how my Robust Porter turns out using Wyeast 1968, Fuller's ESB yeast. Be sure to bring the temp up a little after day 3 so it will finish out before it slows and drops out. Another good choice is White Labs wl037 Yorkshire Square that is only available this time of year.

if your looking for american style. i vote wyeast 1450. amazing flavor results. i prefer it for american stlyle dark beers over 1056 and 1272.

Latest posts

Back