Smoked Porter recepie advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minmaxx77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey i wanted to make porter with medium smokyness. Not overpowering but clearly noticeable. What you guys think about my recepie?

70% Maris otter
10% Chateau smoked
7.5% Chocolate malt
2.5% Roasted Barley
10% Crystal malt
Bitter with magnum for ~30IBU
US-05

Is this good amount of smoked malt or do i need more. But ofcourse if its too much nobody wants to drink it. If to little i cant really call it smoked porter but i can still drink it.

I was also thinking splitting crystal malt with melano for extra malt flavour (5% crystal / 5% chateau melano). I think it would taste great if this smoked porter have roasty malty backbone?

I think it very much depends on the smoked malt, but I used 36% smoked beech on a smoked dunkel and for me that was perfect. Enough to smell and taste but not so much that it tasted like an ash tray (which I have experienced in a beer before and it was a DNF for me).

If I was you, I’d probably cautiously increase to 15% and you can always iterate next time. You’re absolutely right that if you over-smoke it could be disgusting but under and it still perfectly drinkable beer.

It may be worth perusing this discussion:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/smoky-dark-beer-recommendation.726553/

Hey i wanted to make porter with medium smokyness. Not overpowering but clearly noticeable. What you guys think about my recepie?

70% Maris otter
10% Chateau smoked
7.5% Chocolate malt
2.5% Roasted Barley
10% Crystal malt
Bitter with magnum for ~30IBU
US-05

Is this good amount of smoked malt or do i need more. But ofcourse if its too much nobody wants to drink it. If to little i cant really call it smoked porter but i can still drink it.

I was also thinking splitting crystal malt with melano for extra malt flavour (5% crystal / 5% chateau melano). I think it would taste great if this smoked porter have roasty malty backbone?
I made a smoked porter last year with 9% Smoked malt (Cherrywood Breiss) and it was very light. I would go to 12 or so if I did it again. But of course it depends on how heavy the smoke is in the malt

Thanks i will look into it
But of course it depends on how heavy the smoke is in the malt
Excactly. But who knows that right. I probably stay on the lower side and maybe try 3gal batch.
What did you thin about other parts of the recepie?

Edit:
Did some digging on castle malting home page for cheateau smoked and they say:
"Smoked beers, specialty beers, Rauchbier, Alaskan smoked ales, Scottish ales, whisky. Up to 15% of the mix."
So maybe for me it would be wise to start from 10% (or 12%)

Thanks i will look into it

Excactly. But who knows that right. I probably stay on the lower side and maybe try 3gal batch.
What did you thin about other parts of the recepie?

Edit:
Did some digging on castle malting home page for cheateau smoked and they say:
"Smoked beers, specialty beers, Rauchbier, Alaskan smoked ales, Scottish ales, whisky. Up to 15% of the mix."
So maybe for me it would be wise to start from 10% (or 12%)

Surprised that their site only says up to 15% for a Rauchbier. Didn't use their malt, but had a Rauchbier recently that I used 39% Weyermann beechwood smoked malt and the beer did good in comps, but many of the judges noted "low smoke flavor". 10 or 12% is a good start, was going to say if you were in US, which I see that you are not, you could always add a food additive product called Liquid Smoke, if it was too low. But guessing that's not available in Estonia.

Brewed today. With ~15% smoked malt. Leta see how it turns out.
20240324_124709.jpg

Gravity is now stuck at 1.018. Did it finish high or is it stuck?
based on calculations it should go down to 1.014. I usually get close to estimated FG and was expecting even lower fg with Us05.
I did mash in around 68-69c. But i havent had neipas finish that high even when used lot of oats and mashed at 70c.
Any ideas? Should i crash and bottle and wait more?

Oats don't cause high FG, but 10% roast and 10% crystal will. What was your OG? I would say you're most likely done if you mashed warm and your OG was high enough. You could wait another week, warm your beer up and check again. It won't hurt and a beer like this will need conditioning time anyway, but I think you're pretty much there.

Oats don't cause high FG, but 10% roast and 10% crystal will. What was your OG? I would say you're most likely done if you mashed warm and your OG was high enough. You could wait another week, warm your beer up and check again. It won't hurt and a beer like this will need conditioning time anyway, but I think you're pretty much there.
Okay. Yeah sounds about right then. my recepie was
62% MO
15% smoked
10% roasted/chocolate
8%crystal
5% melano (wich also gives body)

Latest posts

Back