Yeast Bay--offering some Brett blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the wallonian going and it's pretty quick to start. Started at 68 for 12 then boosted to 74 over 4 days and bubbling away nicely.

Got the wallonian going and it's pretty quick to start. Started at 68 for 12 then boosted to 74 over 4 days and bubbling away nicely.

I ramped mine to 74 and it has a "very mild" funk. Next time I'm going to at least 80

My first batch with Wallonian should be ready to drink this weekend, I went with a pretty standard Belgian fermentation profile. Pitched at 64f, let free rise to 74f and held there for 2-3 weeks. Finished pretty dry, OG was 1.060 finished at 1.007. I think I agree with the "mild funk" I split the batch with 3711 and the Wallonian half has much more character.

I am currently 6 days pitch #2 and its almost done, I pitched at 64f again, free rose to 74f in 24hrs with a quick start, then ramped to 82f by the 3rd day, and its resting nicely at 80f now.

My first batch with Wallonian should be ready to drink this weekend, I went with a pretty standard Belgian fermentation profile. Pitched at 64f, let free rise to 74f and held there for 2-3 weeks. Finished pretty dry, OG was 1.060 finished at 1.007. I think I agree with the "mild funk" I split the batch with 3711 and the Wallonian half has much more character.

I am currently 6 days pitch #2 and its almost done, I pitched at 64f again, free rose to 74f in 24hrs with a quick start, then ramped to 82f by the 3rd day, and its resting nicely at 80f now.

This is awesome to hear. I have a 1.056-1.060 planned to do tomorrow and use a similar schedule of fermentation. I'm going to pitch at 64 and control the ambient temps to let it get to 74ish in 4-5 days. That's my typical schedule with yeasts other than Dupont strain. I don't plan on letting this one get too hot if it isn't needed. BUt if the funk comes out with hotter temps I'[ll do that. I'm excited about this more character. I love 3711 but I think this Wallonian could be one of the favorites. Looking forward to your results.

Can anyone give any further descriptors for the "mild funk" of the wallonian? Is it earthy, barnyard, pepper? Anyone have a preference between wallonian and the saison blend?

Thanks for any input.

Probably early for any of us to say, if you email Nick he would probably have more info as he has been using them for a bit.

I'll be having my first glass if a beer made with Wallonian tonight, I'll post some brief tasting notes when I do.

Probably early for any of us to say, if you email Nick he would probably have more info as he has been using them for a bit.

I'll be having my first glass if a beer made with Wallonian tonight, I'll post some brief tasting notes when I do.

Can't to hear the notes!

Can anyone give any further descriptors for the "mild funk" of the wallonian? Is it earthy, barnyard, pepper? Anyone have a preference between wallonian and the saison blend?

Thanks for any input.

I would say wallonian is a mild version of white labs farmhouse blend

Thanks for any input.

Definitely more of an earthy funk. No real barnyard funk to speak of.

I would say wallonian is a mild version of white labs farmhouse blend

Makes sense. The Wallonian Farmhouse is a single strain of Saccharomyces, while the WL Farmhouse Blend contains Brettanomyces which can add some serious barnyard funk to the equation.

Gents, here are my observations and tasting notes from the Wallonian Farmhouse strain. I'm swooning.

http://riverwards.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-yeast-bay-wallonian-farmhouse-strain.html

Very exciting to hear! I'm 3 days into fermentation on mine with a very similar recipe to yours. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/bottomland-saison-434634/ The real wort starter I sampled the other day was promising. My gravity was down about halfway down last night and was sitting pretty at 74. :tank:

SaisonBrett.jpg

This is 10 hours into fermentation with the Saison Brett Blend. (~75 degrees) The next day, there was a 1 inch krausen. I've never seen clumping like this during fermentation. Anyone else?

ps. Sorry for the sideways pic.

View attachment 190626

This is 10 hours into fermentation with the Saison Brett Blend. (~75 degrees) The next day, there was a 1 inch krausen. I've never seen clumping like this during fermentation. Anyone else?

ps. Sorry for the sideways pic.

Here is what metic had to say about the Saison/Brett blend:

I just transferred by second batch with the saison/brett blend to secondary. Its gone from 1.045 to 1.003 in a week, and it tastes delicious. The description on the site is spot on: "a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest and imparts a long, dry and earthy finish to the beer". It blends really nicely with the sterling and halleratuer hops I used in this batch. No sign of the brett, but its only a week old. I'm reusing the yeast cake at least one more time to make something like Prairie's 'Merica---I think the ester profile will also blend well with the Nelson Sauvin hops.

No real info on the visual progression of fermentation though.

Yep, I've fermented three beers back to back with it actually, but all of them in buckets so I didn't really watch the fermentation. I've bottled two of them, half in regular bottles to drink young and half in heavy bottles to age for a while to let the brett show through. The last one is still sitting in secondary and I'll probably leave it there for at least another week or two and then bottle it in the same way.

Yep, I've fermented three beers back to back with it actually, but all of them in buckets so I didn't really watch the fermentation. I've bottled two of them, half in regular bottles to drink young and half in heavy bottles to age for a while to let the brett show through. The last one is still sitting in secondary and I'll probably leave it there for at least another week or two and then bottle it in the same way.

Let us know what you think when you get around to drinkin' them!

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you let them ferment and what were your FG's?

Ignore this please: I just saw you're earlier post.

Getting 73% attenuation so far with the Funktown blend in a 1.045 pale that I mashed high on. Increased temp after primary fermentation was over up to 72 and held it steady and gravity hasn't changed from 1.012 for a week or so. Is this ready for bottles? Was expecting potentially higher attenuation.

Getting 73% attenuation so far with the Funktown blend in a 1.045 pale that I mashed high on. Increased temp after primary fermentation was over up to 72 and held it steady and gravity hasn't changed from 1.012 for a week or so. Is this ready for bottles? Was expecting potentially higher attenuation.

How high of a temp did you use for the mash? That might be the issue. I would not bottle that, as the Brett in there will likely work slowly to increase the attenuation. There isn't a huge proportion of Brett in these blends judging from the cell counts, so it may take a little time to establish itself. I would definitely wait to bottle.

I mashed at 156 and added a half pound of dextrin malt -- really wanted to give lots for the brett to munch on.

I mashed at 156 and added a half pound of dextrin malt -- really wanted to give lots for the brett to munch on.

Definitely give it more time. Sounds like you have a ton of dextrin in there that will be slowly consumed. Keep the temperature up and give it time, and I bet it will continue to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You definitely want to wait a while, as Fermented Minds said. In future, its worth knowing that there's no real need to take these kind of steps when using brett. It will make a contribution to the flavour profile even if there are very few available sugars left in the beer, since it can work on other compounds (see Chad Yakobson's posts in this thread). Adding these longer sugars just slows the fermentation down, and its questionable whether there is any advantage gained by that in a mixed sacch/brett fermentation. (Its different if your mixed fermentation includes other organisms that do require sugars to make a contribution, such as pedio and lacto---then there are advantages to leaving lots of long chain sugars in the beer after the sacch has finished.)

You definitely want to wait a while, as Fermented Minds said. In future, its worth knowing that there's no real need to take these kind of steps when using brett. It will make a contribution to the flavour profile even if there are very few available sugars left in the beer, since it can work on other compounds (see Chad Yakobson's posts in this thread). Adding these longer sugars just slows the fermentation down, and its questionable whether there is any advantage gained by that in a mixed sacch/brett fermentation. (Its different if your mixed fermentation includes other organisms that do require sugars to make a contribution, such as pedio and lacto---then there are advantages to leaving lots of long chain sugars in the beer after the sacch has finished.)

Absolutely correct. Brett will use a lot of existing flavor compound such as acids and alcohols to create new flavor compounds. Chad's thesis is a wealth of information on this topic.

Thanks. That's a great read. I'll definitely brew my brett beers differently in the future. Would pitching more brett speed things up in this case?

Thanks. That's a great read. I'll definitely brew my brett beers differently in the future. Would pitching more brett speed things up in this case?

I would leave it be. It only takes a small amount of Brett to chew through a lot of the residual sugars and drop the gravity. Adding more of anything would probably speed it up, but you may end up with a different beer all around.

Just keep the temperature a bit elevated, prevent large temperature swings which can stress the yeast and give it a little more time.

I've almost kicked my APA with Funktown. Its SUPER fruity, did a real simple pils/vienna pale with 100% Amarillo.

My Flanders oud, with the Lochristi blend appears to be coming along nicely. The smell coming from the airlock is a blast of strawberries. I'm really excited to give this one a try. It was already quite tart just 2 weeks into fermentation, due to the lacto most likely. Starting to form a wee pellicle. I'm a month into this beer as of tomorrow, I think I'll take a small sample next weekend if I end up racking to glass and adding oak.

I've almost kicked my APA with Funktown. Its SUPER fruity, did a real simple pils/vienna pale with 100% Amarillo.

My Flanders oud, with the Lochristi blend appears to be coming along nicely. The smell coming from the airlock is a blast of strawberries. I'm really excited to give this one a try. It was already quite tart just 2 weeks into fermentation, due to the lacto most likely. Starting to form a wee pellicle. I'm a month into this beer as of tomorrow, I think I'll take a small sample next weekend if I end up racking to glass and adding oak.

What did you pitch into the Flanders oud, besides the Lochristi blend?

Wyeast lacto and dregs from a single Oude Tart. I didn't do a starter, since I didn't fully read the product description from TYB (totally my fault) and I only pitched probably 50b cells. Bif under pitch. My thinking is that gave several days of the lacto going to work first before the brett and sach eventually kicked in.

Wyeast lacto and dregs from a single Oude Tart. I didn't do a starter, since I didn't fully read the product description from TYB (totally my fault) and I only pitched probably 50b cells. Bif under pitch. My thinking is that gave several days of the lacto going to work first before the brett and sach eventually kicked in.

wyeast's lacto is pretty wimpy. it's not hop tolerant and doesn't do well in the presence of alcohol. although you pitched far fewer cells from the oud tart, chances are you'll get more impact from that addition.

keep pitching those dregs, as they become available. over a year (or more) they'll get the job done :mug:

wyeast's lacto is pretty wimpy. it's not hop tolerant and doesn't do well in the presence of alcohol. although you pitched far fewer cells from the oud tart, chances are you'll get more impact from that addition.

keep pitching those dregs, as they become available. over a year (or more) they'll get the job done :mug:

That was lacto and dregs in addition to the Sach/Brett Lochristi blend. This was also a 2.5 gallon batch, so a decent dose of lacto. Its already noticeably tart, which was really surprising. I'm sure this one would do great long time, and it might go that way...but if I get a point where I am happy with the flavor I usually just go for it then, maybe save a few bottles for aging. I've got 7 sours going, pretty much all I brew. So, if I drink one "early" even though I'm happy with the taste, I've got plenty more going lol.

Update, I DID kick that APA keg! Had a weird metallic taste....forgot I had tried one of those metal hop screens in the keg >.< Smelled it, bam, there was my off flavor. Beer was still great, but it would be better without that. I think I'll stick to trying those for dry hopping, not keg hopping. I saved the cake and washed it, I might brew a similar beer again, I've still got a big bag o' Amarillo. Need to plow through a ton of pilsner too

Here's my post about the first of three beers I brewed with the saison/brett blend. Unlike Coff, I didn't have the good sense to brew a recipe I was already familiar with, so its hard to pinpoint the contribution made by the yeast, beyond saying that it complements and blends nicely with the hop profile. You'll have to excuse my amateurish tasting notes!

Great post, interested to hear how that beer develops in the bottle with the Brett under pressure.

Just took a reading from my saison using Wallonian Farmhouse yeast. Only down to 1.020 after a week. I mashed at 153 as this yeast was supposed to be fairly attenuative. I usually like my saisons to finish up around 1.006ish. Not bone dry, but not sweet. I'm going to have to sit back and wait on this one. It's been sitting at 73 or so, but it dropped down below 70 today due to the weather. Tastes good so far though. Have Funktown Ale coming up this weekend. Look forward to that one.

Just took a reading from my saison using Wallonian Farmhouse yeast. Only down to 1.020 after a week. I mashed at 153 as this yeast was supposed to be fairly attenuative. I usually like my saisons to finish up around 1.006ish. Not bone dry, but not sweet. I'm going to have to sit back and wait on this one. It's been sitting at 73 or so, but it dropped down below 70 today due to the weather. Tastes good so far though. Have Funktown Ale coming up this weekend. Look forward to that one.

Mind sharing the recipe?

11 lbs. Pilsner
1 lb Munich
1 lb Rye Malt
0.50 Acidulated Malt
Mashed at 153 for 60 mins
90 minute boil
OG was 1.061
0.7 oz Nelson Sauvin at 60
0.3 oz Nelson Sauvin at whirlpool
No-Chill
Pitched at 73-74. Maintained that until today, when it dipped.
Dropped in an ounce of Nelson Sauvin dry-hop tonight. I'll let that go for 4 days or so before I pull them back out.

Edit: Forgot to mention I pitched from an 800 ml real wort starter that had been on the stir plate for 36 hours.

Back