Yeast Bay--offering some Brett blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got 2x Farmhouse Sour, 2x Dry Belgian and 1x of the Amalgamation to try out. The mélange was still there when I just ordered. It took a second for the out of stock to go away.

No one? They didn't go up until 12 pm PST :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think he was seeing what I was seeing. The "OUT OF STOCK" didn't go away immediately on all of them. I had multiple pages up refreshing just in case it was nuts and I had to get it in quick.

Placed my order 5 minutes after the sale went up. I only got one of the pre-sale yeasts, the Farmhouse Sour Ale, but I also ordered the Vermont, Willonian, Funktown, and the Saison Blend. Anyone have experience with any of these? Until I saw this thread today, I was unaware of the yeast bay. Thanks everyone and happy brewing!

Placed my order 5 minutes after the sale went up. I only got one of the pre-sale yeasts, the Farmhouse Sour Ale, but I also ordered the Vermont, Willonian, Funktown, and the Saison Blend. Anyone have experience with any of these? Until I saw this thread today, I was unaware of the yeast bay. Thanks everyone and happy brewing!

Brewing with my Wallonian this weekend. I've had 2 vials a while but haven't gotten to the brew I wanted to do with them. But I'm throwing it on a starter tonight and should get my brew done Sunday.

Glad I posted! I checked about 10 AM. The Melange wasn't up yet. I just ordered that and got the Brussels as well. Looking forward to a different collection of bugs and yeast for another Lambic.

I just picked up 4 more kegs this week for aging as well.

Thanks!

I had tried using East Coast Yeast, but the waiting months for the bugs I wanted, and the constant we don't know what will be available until we get it, got old fast. The Yeast Bay comes through again. Should keep some Dry Belgian Ale on hand, you can kick-start anything with this and it saved a few stuck experimental batches for me.

I ordered the Melange, Amalgamation, and Brussels blends today. I am planning to do a split batch of lambic, using the Melange and ECY's Bug Country side-by-side, with random dregs added. I am not sure what I'll do with the Amalgamation and the Brussels yet... Maybe some all-Brett beers.

I ordered Melange, Saison Brett, and Lacto Brevis yesterday. I was on the fence because I was going to brew a sour this month and just pitch it on an ECY01 cake, but it looks like I'll just be starting new with the Melange.

Next month I'm going to brew a sour cherry berliner weisse with the Brevis and ferment it out with the Saison Brett. Excited!

I plan to use the Mélange for a pale sour beer solera, to mix with other fresh beers of varying styles (dark mild, amber, Belgian, whatever). If it works out well, I may splurge on a 15 gallon corny to keep the solera beer in.

I finally got around to posting tasting notes on the split batch I did with the 3 brett blends, Beersel, Lochristi, Brussels. It took me a while because the Lochristi is a pretty slo worker, at first I was a bit luke warm on it but its really starting to shine after some time in the bottle. Very unique.

http://riverwards.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-yeast-bay-brett-blend-review.html

Has anyone done anything with the Amalgamation blend? I plan on doing something of a wit bier style and adding some citrus similar to Crooked Stave style.

Has anyone done anything with the Amalgamation blend? I plan on doing something of a wit bier style and adding some citrus similar to Crooked Stave style.

Amalgamation is one of their new blends that they just released recently, so not sure you'll find much information with respect to people who have brewed and tasted their finished beers. They also sold out pretty fast, so probably only a small number of people got any.

They did just post new stock of everything according to their Facebook page, so hopefully more people will grab some and start experimenting with it (and share the results!).

Amalgamation is one of their new blends that they just released recently, so not sure you'll find much information with respect to people who have brewed and tasted their finished beers. They also sold out pretty fast, so probably only a small number of people got any.

They did just post new stock of everything according to their Facebook page, so hopefully more people will grab some and start experimenting with it (and share the results!).

I'll definitely post my results when I get it going. I hope to soon!

I played hookie from work today. This just went into the fermenter with WLP008 for primary. It'll go into a keg with the Melange blend for secondary. This is my attempt at a pale sour solera, for blending and such:

70% pils
10% flaked barley
10% carapils
10% torrified wheat
~12 IBUs of columbus

Lots of dextrins for the bugs.

Wish me luck!

So this is my first batch with the Wallonian Farmhouse Ale strain. This thing went from 1.064 to 1.000 in two weeks. It's been in the bottle for 6 days and it's tasting great. It's lemony, tart, hint of spice and a hint of funk. The funk is more along the lines of old/dusty type aroma and flavors similar to an aged Saison or Biere de Garde. Very awesome stuff. I'm ready for this to fully carb and settle out. Such an awesome yeast.

F333D9FF-DEBB-4646-BF75-81A2691AE233_zpsughcr5ww.jpg

Pitched Farmhouse Sour and Melange yesterday after brewing a 12gal blonde 1.054 wort. Farmhouse Sour has taken off at 74F and is absolutely raging. Melange is sitting at 70F chugging along. These fresh vials are ready to be pitched.

So this is my first batch with the Wallonian Farmhouse Ale strain. This thing went from 1.064 to 1.000 in two weeks. It's been in the bottle for 6 days and it's tasting great. It's lemony, tart, hint of spice and a hint of funk. The funk is more along the lines of old/dusty type aroma and flavors similar to an aged Saison or Biere de Garde. Very awesome stuff. I'm ready for this to fully carb and settle out. Such an awesome yeast.

Cant agree with you more, awesome strain. Second batch will get brett lochristi:D

Just curious what temp you fermented at? I used this strain earlier in the year on a Bier de Garde and although it came out very nice the flavor was different from what you describe. Not tart at all. I fermented at 64.

Just curious what temp you fermented at? I used this strain earlier in the year on a Bier de Garde and although it came out very nice the flavor was different from what you describe. Not tart at all. I fermented at 64.

Pitched at 68 and held there in a temp controlled fermenter for 2 days. Then I pulled it out and let it sit at room temp (72-76) for the remainder.

Even being young in the bottle mine definitely has a tart character. Not sour by any means but a lemony tartness. I'm ready to try it again but I'm waiting for it to sit in bottles maybe another week before I pop the next one.

Santé!

Pitched Farmhouse Sour and Melange yesterday after brewing a 12gal blonde 1.054 wort. Farmhouse Sour has taken off at 74F and is absolutely raging. Melange is sitting at 70F chugging along. These fresh vials are ready to be pitched.

Indeed! I have some Farmhouse Sour going right now that took off pretty fast. The Yeast Bay Saison Blend seems to behave the same, so not terribly surprised at the activity. Excited to drink some of these, but not excited to wait...

One of the best Saison cultures on the market right now. Its been my house saison strains since I got it in February.

Just pitched my vial of Melange into 70/30 pilsner/wheat wort that I left to cool overnight. I'm curious as to how strong of a primary fermentation this blend gets.

The mélange I pitched Saturday evening is chugging along. Maybe an inch of krausen. I just took mine out of the ferm chamber where I held it at 72F for 3 days to let it free rise to high 70s.

The mélange I pitched Saturday evening is chugging along. Maybe an inch of krausen. I just took mine out of the ferm chamber where I held it at 72F for 3 days to let it free rise to high 70s.

I checked mine this morning, about 24 hours after pitching, and I have about an inch of krausen, too. Primary fermentation started much quicker than on the two batches of ECY01 I have going.

I checked mine this morning, about 24 hours after pitching, and I have about an inch of krausen, too. Primary fermentation started much quicker than on the two batches of ECY01 I have going.

I had the same experience with vials I've used. Even though the cell count is a little lower, the organisms in the Melange Blend seem to get going fast. The smell from my airlocks is also incredible! Excited to get these beers in bottles... in a year or two...

Did a large split batch of saison wort and am using all the new strains. They're all chugging away pretty well. The speed with which fermentation has taken off in all of them might also have to do with the fact the vials are all very fresh.

Did a large split batch of saison wort and am using all the new strains. They're all chugging away pretty well. The speed with which fermentation has taken off in all of them might also have to do with the fact the vials are all very fresh.

Nice. Post back with your thoughts if you can.

Might be difficult to draw any specific conclusions solely about the Amalgamation blend given the other Brett you're using, but excited to hear how it plays with the Brett Trois!

I am fermenting the majority of the batch with Brux, but the amalgamation is fermenting one gallon all by itself. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the post.

It will be nice to do a side by side with the Brux and amalgamation blend.

I am fermenting the majority of the batch with Brux, but the amalgamation is fermenting one gallon all by itself. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the post.

It will be nice to do a side by side with the Brux and amalgamation blend.

You did. I missed that when I looked at the recipe. Good luck with it! Looking forward to your results.

Are you guys doing starters with the YeastBay blends? I haven't tried any of their product yet, but I read this on their site.
"Due to significant variation in growth rates among Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, starter cultures are still not recommended for complex blends containing multiple types of organisms due to the risk of significantly altering the proportions of the blend which may produce significantly different character than intended."

I ran some calcs and I would need appx 12 vials of 30day old Farmhouse Sour Blend to ferment a 1.07 wort. I figured it at 30 day old as a safe bet between manufacture and brew day, so appx 40b cells per vial and I need 250b+ for the beer.

So what I'm getting at, I haven't used various organism blends before and I'm curious if everyone just makes starters or buys multiple vials or a combination of both.

Thanks!

Are you guys doing starters with the YeastBay blends? I haven't tried any of their product yet, but I read this on their site.
"Due to significant variation in growth rates among Saccharomyces, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, starter cultures are still not recommended for complex blends containing multiple types of organisms due to the risk of significantly altering the proportions of the blend which may produce significantly different character than intended."

I ran some calcs and I would need appx 12 vials of 30day old Farmhouse Sour Blend to ferment a 1.07 wort. I figured it at 30 day old as a safe bet between manufacture and brew day, so appx 40b cells per vial and I need 250b+ for the beer.

So what I'm getting at, I haven't used various organism blends before and I'm curious if everyone just makes starters or buys multiple vials or a combination of both.

Thanks!

They have mentioned this on their Facebook page about making starters with blends containing yeast and bacteria:

"An aerobic stirred starter (just covered loosely with foil) for 24 hours at 68 F will favor growth of the Sacch, which is fine because they will be doing a bulk of the fermentation on the front end. You can also try the method where you split the starter and do half as described above to favor yeast and half anaerobically and warmer to favor the LAB. The big thing about making a starter with blends that have LAB in them is that you don't want the bacteria to get too active too fast. If they lower the pH too quickly at the start of fermentation, they yeast will have a tough go of it and that may lead to poor fermentation and off flavors. Hope that helps! Cheers!"

So, kind of the opposite of their website. Sounds like I would still need multiple vials. 2 vials would get me where I need to be with a 2l starter. Otherwise, a stepped up starter would grow the sacch way more than the LAB.
I wish they would put higher cell counts in the vial. Of course, I wish WL would also use higher counts.

Food for thought, thank you for posting that.

So, kind of the opposite of their website. Sounds like I would still need multiple vials. 2 vials would get me where I need to be with a 2l starter. Otherwise, a stepped up starter would grow the sacch way more than the LAB.
I wish they would put higher cell counts in the vial. Of course, I wish WL would also use higher counts.

Food for thought, thank you for posting that.

It's really the same recommendation that White Labs and Wyeast make. Seems pretty standard not to recommend a starter with any blends as a way to cover themselves if for instance it gets too warm, bacteria take over and the beer is overly acidic or does not properly ferment. I emailed to let them know they should put the recommendation on their website. They are typically very fast to respond.

I primary with a different sacc only strain in primary, then add the blend only in secondary for aging. This keeps bacteria out of my fermenters. Depending on a few things, but I may move to secondary after 3-4 days, long before primary fermentation is done.

Back