yeah...another decoction thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherball

Reaction score
well after watching Kaiser's video about three times and screwing around on beer smith i have decided to attempt a decoction for a maerzen.

The mash i have come up with incorporates three rests: 140, 158 and 168

I'll infuse to reach the first rest and pull decoctions for the second two.

My question is at what point should i pull the first decoction after the initial infusion and 140 rest; is it okay for the mash to sit at 140 while i pull the decoction convert and then boil it, because that would mean it is resting for close to an hour.

Any feedback you guys might have would be appreciated

that is the idea. you want the liquid to stay behind and sit around 140 while the thick mash is boiled. i usually 140 rest for 20 minutes, then pull the decoction. just make sure to take mostly grains and leave behind the liquid, then add a few quarts of water to the decoction pot and boil the crap out of it while stirring for 10-15 minutes

There was another recent decoction thread at >>--> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/decoction-mash-schedule-schwarzbier-132742/

One of the guys put out a great idea of mixing in an infusion within the first decoction stage - you should check it out. Having messed around with my first couple of decoction mashes recently, his idea immediately resonated with me as a way to get that first decoction step underway.

Back