Wyeast smack pack: Bloated on arrival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just received a pack of Wyeast 1450 Denny's fav 50 (first time using smack pack), and it's already pretty bloated. Are these supposed to come flat? If I smack this one hard enough, I'm thinking it will pop.

Can anybody who's used these give me some insight as to if it's already been shook enough during shipping that I should just make a starter with it instead? Or should I be fine if I just keep it in the fridge, then shake it good and plenty on brew day? I've got a separate tube of nutrient, if that will help things down the road.

Thanks in advance.

I got one like that from Williams Brewing and I just called them and they overnighted a new one to me. Maybe you should contact the seller.

I got one like that from Williams Brewing and I just called them and they overnighted a new one to me. Maybe you should contact the seller.

Ok, thanks. I got it from Brewmaster's Warehouse, along with the rest of the stuff for two brews. I'll call them tomorrow to discuss if, if it's an issue. I did have them send it on frozen gel packs, so I don't think heat was an issue (the packs were still cool to the touch today, one day after the package arriving) so it may have been shaken during transit.

Really, it's up to you. I would have them send a new one if it was me, but if you think that it's all right then you can go for it. When are you wanting to brew? You may have to make a starter for it now if your yeast eat up all the sugars in the smack pack and then go dormant.

I'm brewing on Sunday (one week from today). I also have yeast nutrient, so I think that along with the wort should be enough to kick them back up. But I will call the vendor tomorrow to see if they'll send me a new one. I'm assuming they should come flat, not bloated, right?

whats the date on the package if its new or newer than its prolly fine.ive used a pack that was "bloated" before and was fine.and yes they should come flat did you have it shipped with a cold pack?

It will be fine, shaking on transit won't mean anything. If that were an issue we wouldn't use stir plates.

Just make a starter, if it takes off it will be fine to use. The liquid inside is just a tiny wort, and they got jump started more than likely will take off just fine.

whats the date on the package if its new or newer than its prolly fine.ive used a pack that was "bloated" before and was fine.and yes they should come flat did you have it shipped with a cold pack?

Date is 5/26, so it's only 2 weeks old. It was shipped across country with a frozen gel pack that was still slightly cold when I opened it up.

It will be fine, shaking on transit won't mean anything. If that were an issue we wouldn't use stir plates.

Just make a starter, if it takes off it will be fine to use. The liquid inside is just a tiny wort, and they got jump started more than likely will take off just fine.

Thanks, Revvy. That's what I figured. I was going to do a 1L starter on Saturday morning (brewing on Sunday afternoon) to jump start those suckers. The only thing I need to figure out now is whether to use foil for the top of the starter, or a 3 piece airlock. I've only done one starter, and at that time my LHBS said to use a regular 3pc airlock, which I did and worked out fine. On here though, and on Mr Malty, etc, I've seen mixed recommendations stating that the inflow of oxygen is also needed, so to use foil. Then some say use an airlock.

What do you use, Revvy? I'll just go with that since I know your **** works :mug:

I recently had the same bloated Denny's Fav 50 from Brewmasters as well. Maybe not a coincidence? I wasn't too worried about it and was planning on making a starter just to be safe but I hope the bloating is from a premature 'smack' during shipping and not something else...

I love reading these posts - they sky is falling, my Wyeast is bloated, etc. Revvy has more experience than any of us so don't get your panties in a wad. Listen to Revvy and you will be fine. Relax. Montanaandy.

I love reading these posts - they sky is falling, my Wyeast is bloated, etc. Revvy has more experience than any of us so don't get your panties in a wad. Listen to Revvy and you will be fine. Relax. Montanaandy.

Huh? Yeah, not sure where that came from. I never gave the impression that I was claiming "the sky is falling" in regards to this, it was a simple, uninformed question from someone who has never used smack packs before. And that whole deal about me saying to Revvy that his **** works, and I'd follow that, is doing exactly as you so politely stated...but I'd like to know if foil or an airlock is best in starters.

No panties here, I wear big boy boxer briefs, and boxing gloves to match.

Oh I'm sorry, I misread what you asked. I thought you asked what I did...not what I use.:eek:

LOL.

I started using foil last summer instead of an airlock, I have found that starter ferm seems more "active" in terms of krausening. I've actually had maybe 1/3 of my starters pitchable at high krausen (one even blew off the foil with foam.) I'm assuming there is a correlation. I think someone mentioned in a thread that rather that pushing the O2 out of the airlock quickly, it is held in a little longer, which gives the yeast a better chance to utilize it. And I use a stirplate, if it matters.

Oh I'm sorry, I misread what you asked. I thought you asked what I did...not what I use.:eek:

LOL.

I started using foil last summer instead of an airlock, I have found that starter ferm seems more "active" in terms of krausening. I've actually had maybe 1/3 of my starters pitchable at high krausen (one even blew off the foil with foam.) I'm assuming there is a correlation. I think someone mentioned in a thread that rather that pushing the O2 out of the airlock quickly, it is held in a little longer, which gives the yeast a better chance to utilize it. And I use a stirplate, if it matters.

Hah, I figured as much. It was nice getting to know you though!

Foil it is.

There's definately something with this yeast strain that makes the pack swell before it's been smacked. I've got a small stash of activators in the fridge and I just noticed that one is slighty swollen and it's the dennys 50.

"No panties here, I wear big boy boxer briefs, and boxing gloves to match." I did the same when I boxed GG's in Chicago back in the 70's. We called them "boxing trunks" back then in the dark ages :)

Um, my post was not directed at you per se but at the notion of "sending the pack back" because it is swollen or there being a problem because the Wyeast pack was swollen. This has been addressed by Revvy repeatedly and that was the basis for my comment.

Virtually every Wyeast pack that I purchase is swollen either because LHBS customers end up breaking the activator when thumbing through the selections of it gets jostled in transit when I have ordered a specific strain that I cannot get locally.

I use Wyeast exclusively because it is what my LHBS carries and I have had great results with it. Get a stirplate and a 2L flask if you plan on using liquid yeast on a regular basis. I also use the foil airlock sprayed with StarSan (about a 4 x 4 square that was reduced from 8x8) that is draped over the top of the flask). Minimum of 24 hours on the stirplate and then into the fridge prior to pitching. I normally don't decant which has not resulted in any off flavors in any of my beers. Montanaandy

I just received a Wyeast Pacman package swollen from Brewmaster's Warehouse last Friday. It was shipped with a couple of other Wyeast packs and a White Labs vial and ice pack. I felt around in the package and could still feel the unbroken nutrient package. I usually make a starter anyway.

Back