Wyeast 1056 swelling pack and cherry aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxr

Reaction score
I have a pack of Wyeast 1056 (expiring May 2021) that swelled in the refrigerator. It has been stored continuously in my 37 degree fridge since I received it.
When I opened the pack, there was a low but perceptible cherry aroma that I've never noticed in WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. I thought at first that the inner nutrient 'smack pack' may have burst, but it was intact. Has anyone else encountered this? I searched and the only thing that came up was possible brett contamination, which would be very bad coming from the yeast lab.

Was at my Local LBS yesterday buying Lutra by Omega. Out of 20 in the box, 1 was swollen like you describe above. not sure if it happens every now and then as a 1 off, but you can make a starter and taste it.

Yeah, making a starter now. I guess that if it smells/tastes off in any way I'll dump it.

I had the same thing happen with 1056 about 1 month ago. Dont recall the Lot number ot Expiration Date, but all the packs of 1056 in the LHBS Fridge were puffed, LhBS Clerk said their 1056 does that a lot. I made fine beer, no issues

Good to know, I just received one in Late April and made a starter with it today. It was puffed up when it arrived and stayed about the same through a couple weeks in the fridge (around 36˚) until I pulled it out today for the starter. Did not notice any off smells.

The starter wort is already beginning to cloud up so it appears to be active.

Updates:

Just found this note on the morebeer site re: this yeast:

Please note that 1056 American Ale has been known to bloat when shipping due to the yeast "off-gassing". Please put this yeast in your refrigerator when received, as the yeast will be fine and should still be viable. To view Wyeast's FAQ on what to do with bloated packages, please visit the following link: Wyeast's FAQ

Last edited:
1056 always swells on my way home from the LHBS even though I carry it back in an ice chest. One time it got to the point where I couldn’t pop the nutrient pouch. I had to cut it open and slosh it around. I‘ve always gotten good results with it.

Back