Wyeast Kolsch in cold crash - will it bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Okay, I asked yesterday about the extreme cloudiness of my all pilsner malt kolsch with Wyeast Kolsch Yeast 2565. A couple of people reassured me that this is par for the course with this yeast, and my gravity sample (OG 1.050 FG 1.012) tasted fine, except for maybe a very slight green-apple taste. Hopefully that will clear up through cold conditioning and bottle conditioning, which brings me to today's question: can I count on this yeast to wake up in order to carbonate, or do I need to add yeast in the bottling bucket?
I'm cold crashing under primitive conditions - it's in the garage in a tub of water. I'm going to keep it from freezing, otherwise I'm at the mercy of the weather. It will most likely stay in the 30s.
Any advice from someone familiar with this yeast would be helpful.

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well , for I'm about brew up a kolsch myself and I don't have the means of kegging yet but I would like to cold crash quite low after primary fermentation is done

Yeah you should have no problem getting those yeasties awake as long as you bring the primary back close to room temp before bottling. I just did this with my Pale Ale and it carbed up just fine in 2-3 weeks in the bottle. I believe you only need more yeast after extended bulk aging with higher gravity brews to help carb.

Back