Wyeast 3056 or...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
I'd like to try to come close to a clone of Erdinger Oktoberfest for my dad - he's a BMC guy, but is starting to venture into crafty type beers, mostly fruity wheats. A year or so ago, he found a bar where he could get Erdinger Oktoberfest after 18 holes and said he loved it. I've never had it, but from what I've read, it's not a clovey-banan-y hefe, but something more restrained. I see Wyeast markets 3056 as a Bavarian Wheat blend, and I've also read that this might be a close approximation to Erdinger's culture.

3056 sounds boring to me - I'd likely make this beer with it and nothing else - that goes against my yeast philosophy, at least for liquid yeast. Is there another way to approximate this blend? Perhaps some 3068 or other good German hefe yeast split with a Kolsch yeast? What about WB-06 - I've heard that's a pretty tame German wheat yeast. Would a big, cool overpitch of 3068 go in that direction?

Thanks for any help.

where he could get Erdinger Oktoberfest...
An Oktoberfest is nothing like a wheat beer. There's no wheat in it. All Munich or a mix of Munich/Vienna. Can add a little dark Caramalt and a small amount of Melanoidin.
It's a wonderfully balanced dark amber to light brown malty Lager, never fruity or clovey. It's proper name is Märzen.

Either of these would be good/proper yeasts for an Oktoberfest:
WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager
WY2124 Bohemian Lager
Weihenstephan 34/70
Saflager W-34/70 (dry yeast)

That said...^

"Erdinger Oktoberfest pours a golden straw color with a bit of cloudiness. Head is thick and foamy, and the aroma is distinctly lemon citrus, which is a bit unique with the Oktoberfest beers. Taste has lots of citrus and some fruity Belgian-like characterstics, especially banana flavors. Hops are earthy and grassy, and there's also some light sour or tartness. Light to medium body. This is not your typical Oktoberfest beer but it might be a way to change things up for something different."

"not your typical Oktoberfest beer" - huh? With those descriptors it's not an Oktoberfest/Marzen at all! It's indeed some wheat-like beer. Seems to be a lot of those kind around named "Oktoberfest." Some are named "Festbier," which is a bit more appropriate. I guess they can get away with that now, even in München.

Carry on... you're probably on the right track.

"not your typical Oktoberfest beer" - huh? With those descriptors it's not an Oktoberfest/Marzen at all! It's indeed some wheat-like beer. Seems to be a lot of those kind around named "Oktoberfest." Some are named "Festbier," which is a bit more appropriate. I guess they can get away with that now, even in München.

The full name of the brewery is "Erdinger - Weissbräu". Guess what type of beer they brew exclusively. ;)

You can get away with calling anything "Oktoberfest" in Munich as to the locals the term "Oktoberfest" is completely meaningless.

To the OP: to get a very restrained wheat beer character just ferment on the cold side, never exceeding 20°C and pitching even below that.

You can get away with calling anything "Oktoberfest" in Munich as to the locals the term "Oktoberfest" is completely meaningless.
Well, that's probably true.
From what I gather the most common beer poured at an Oktoberfest in Germany are lowish alcohol yellow or light amber Lagers, not Marzens.

Latest posts

Back