Question regarding my Hefeweizen recipe. Kegged too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom59685

Reaction score
Hi, I have a simple question regarding the method I followed to brew this hefeweizen.
I brewed a simple 50/50 (pilsner malt/wheat malt) hefeweizen about a week ago, O.G. was 1.050, right where I wanted it.
Fermentation took place in fridge with temperature control (thermometer on bucket) using the Hefe Wyeast 3068 at 62F for an entire week (with loose lid).
Fermentation visibly started the following evening, with about 1 to 2 inches of krausen for the next 3/4 days.

At day 5, the krausen had fallen and I was able to take a gravity reading of 1.012 (also where I wanted it based on the recipe I followed).
I took two more gravity readings at day 6 and day 7, both were also 1.012.
On day 7, I had a small taste and didn't notice any significant off flavours (much less than my previous attempt using a WB-06 yeast at 72F), I actually didn't get too much of the clove/banana flavours I am after either, but I am wondering if this will come out more when the beer is carbonated.

The recipe I am following said it should take about a week to ferment with that yeast at 62F and that it should be bottled/kegged as early as possible once fermentation is over to preserve those flavours associated with German hefeweizens.

I did then keg it on day 7 (yesterday), but have since read a whole lot of threads around Hefeweizens and everyone seems to say that 10/14 days should be the minimum for such a beer, even when fermented warmer. I am pretty confident that fermentation was done on my end (same F.G. on last three days, and expected value), I also haven't noticed any significant off-flavours when tasting the beer before kegging, and certainly do not want to lose the flavours I am after by having too long of a diacetyl rest, but I am curious to hear what you guys think about the decision to keg it after only 7 days (at 38F/16PSI). I was simply following the recipe guidelines (and confirming stable F.G.), but was this a poor decision, will it affect the final result in a bad way? What would you have done (just trying to understand/learn for future brews).

This is the recipe I followed (all grain version):
https://byo.com/article/german-hefeweizen-style-profile/
Thank you for your help.

I think you're OK, gravity being stable for 3 days at your expected FG.

62F is a bit on the cold end of the spectrum. I probably would have raised the temps to 66-68F for a few days after the big event was over (days 6-7/8), just to let her condition a bit more. More important when bottling to make sure there's nothing left to ferment.

The subdued banana/ester is likely due to your low ferm temps. You should expect a more clovey balance in your Hefes, at lower ferm temps.

Yes, wait for proper carbonation to bring out her real character, before filing a verdict. ;)

Sounds good, thank you for the quick reply. I will try to raise the temperature to ~68F next time for an additional 2 or 3 days and see how it compares.

I will let you know how the beer turns out in 7-10 days when I get the first pour from the keg :)

Thanks again!

Thank you for the help, I have an update on the beer:
I had a little taste after 7 days, then 10 days and the beer turned out very good, it had a lot more flavour than anticipated which I was very pleased with. Oddly enough (fermenting at 62F), it actually had quite a bit of that banana flavour, a bit too much to my taste, but overall very very pleased (I did not severely under-pitch, but did not use a started).

I did end up keeping the temperature at 38F but increased PSI from 16 to 18 since I thought it needed just a bit more carbonation (I have a 15ft line).

After just over 14 days, carbonation is now exactly where I want it, I get perfect pours with a generous head (but not too much) and a lot of the intense banana flavour has now subdued and it actually is very very good, it feels very balanced and very similar to those German Hefeweizens I love, I am extremely pleased.

Thanks again for the help and have a great weekend!

Back