Wyeast 1084 Irish ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertrapped

Reaction score
Brewed up a milk stout (5.5 gallons) and used this yeast making a 2L starter. Pitched the yeast at about 69 degrees. Sealed the 6.5 gallon bucket and placed in my ghetto swamp cooler. Lol. Airlock activity started bubbling at about the 4 hour mark. Awesome.

Usually, my beers sit around 65-68 degrees via fermometer. Anyway, checked it today and it's sitting at 59-60. Wyeast recommends a fermentation temp of 62-72. It's still happy bubbling away. I'm going to guess the inner temp is probably a couple degrees higher, being it's still in primary, than what's shown on the fermometer?

I guess my questions are, is that too cool? And/or should I raise the temp a bit now or wait till end of primary since its still pretty active?

60 should be fine. It'll be nice and clean, which is pretty much the goal for using 1084 I believe. After 5 or 6 days I'd take it out of the swamp cooler and let it rise to finish up

I just checked the SG of a dry Irish stout fermented with WY 1084, day 12. SG is 1.010, about 0.001 lower than typical. Tastes great. No off flavors from ester production. Fastest fermentation of this same recipe with WY 1084 than any previous batch.

Pitched generation 2 yeast into 59°F wort. Six hours fermentation activity, 62.4°. Cooled with swamp cooler.
Day 2, 60.0°.
Day 3, 62.7°.
Day 4, 63.0°, removed from swamp cooler and krausen had dropped.
Day 5, 65.0°, bubbling through air lock once per 10 seconds.
Day 6, 66.0°, air lock once per 30 seconds. Ambient air temp 66°.

I have always had very good luck with this yeast keeping the active fermentation below 64°. (When bubbles through the carboys air lock are less than once per two seconds.)

The fermometer strips are usually within 1° of the beer at the center of the carboy. I would let it rise a couple of degrees and then hold it. How long has it been since fermentation started? If it has been only one day the temp may rise another one or two degrees as fermentation continues.

It's only been about 12-13hrs since fermentation activity started.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll keep it steady where it's at for a couple days in primary. And then take it out of the cooler so it can rise.

Back