Wrote my own recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMTnew2brew

Reaction score
I brewed my own recipe with flavors I thought would compliment each other, the recipe included putting chopped apples in the boil for the last 10 minutes, and then leaving the apples in primary for 10 days, now I syphoned into a sanitized secondary, and was very careful not to pull from the bottom or top of the primary, it's been in secondary for almost 8 weeks...a friend has me a little worries about the "safety of this mix, which I intend to keg tonight...

I have heard that fruit in the boil will make the pectin be hazy. And apple peels are high in pectin. Does it look/smell ok?

It looks fine, and I got a little taste when I was syphoning into the secondary(which was 8 weeks ago)and it was ok, I used golden delicious apples because the peel isn't overly waxy...don't know if that would reduce the pectin

I guess peeling the apples would've reduced the pectin...it smelled awesome when it was cooking

Back