Really thick krausen (?) on top after weeks of primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbas45

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy, folks. I’ve brewed off and on for years, first with extract kits and the last couple of years all-grain with a Spike Solo 10 gal. Still a beginner.

I recently brewed a Founders Breakfast Stout clone using a recipe from Jasper’s Homebrew here in NH. Brew day was 6/4. I’ve had the beer in primary fermentation since then. I used Safale US-05. Temps have been 66-68 deg most of that time, the last week at 69-70.

I checked the SG on 6/12 and saw a really thick, sludgy cake on top of the beer. I searched posts on HBT and found some that seemed to indicate this something that happens sometimes, don’t worry.

I just checked the beer again and man, that is a thick cake. I sanitized a steel spatula and lifted most of it out. I sanitized a long spoon and probed the bucket and noted about 1.5" of stuff on the bottom of the bucket.

The SG is now 1.022, which is fine.

Questions:
1. What the actual heck? I've never seen this in my own brewing experience. Any ideas what could have led to this?
2. What now? Is this okay/salvageable? Should I rack the remaining beer to another bucket and let it sit a while (it's pretty murky), then bottle as usual?

Thanks for any help, bws

BTW, I have struggled with the Spike Solo 10 gal. I know lots of brewers just love all kinds of beer. They'd brew with grasshopper knees if they could collect enough. Not me. I am only interested in porters and stouts, and really prefer RIS. These have big grain bills. The 10 gallon brewer is not meant for 5 or 6 gallons of a heavy brew, which I did not understand before I bought it. To brew the stouts, I have to break the recipe up into two batches, then combine the wort for fermentation.
PXL_20230703_204049156-resized.jpg

PXL_20230703_210153965-resized.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230703_204049156.jpg
    PXL_20230703_204049156.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Do you use whirlflok,and how long do you let the wort settle before racking to fermenter? I use a CFC and whirlpool to cold break (70*) or colder,let sit long time,sometimes overnite, then rack clear wort . When I use certain yeasts that happens and i give the FV a gentle swirl and it'll sink

Thanks. I did not use whirlfloc. I cooled the wort with a CFC directly into the fermenter. Temp was a bit high, so I packed some ice bottles around the bucket, surrounded with R15 insulation, until it hit 70 deg, then pitched the yeast because the “ideal” temps for that yeast are 59-71. Wort was 65 deg by the next morning.

Would cold-crashing be useful at this point? I’ve never needed to do so in the past, but I tend to leave beer in the fermenter quite a long time. I do have an empty kegerator I could put the bucket in. I’m not going to keg the beer; prefer bottling.

I tasted the beer last night and I think it will be good after bottle conditioning for a few months.

I leave my RIS's in primary for 4-6 weeks with very good results. After I take it to the finishing temp(I do step fermentations) for 3 days i let it go to ambient (around 60-64) for 2 or so weeks. I can't cold crash in FV only keg.

I get almost all all my supplies from Jeff at Jaspers, I've brewed most of his stouts, does the recipe you used have bakers chocolate, the reason I ask is because if so, the chocolate leaves a thick layer of butter fat behind, easily mistaken for Krausen.

It's a messy recipe, you will have some in your secondary as well, but worth it in the end, I've made a half dozen of various chocolate stouts, the Founders clone is my favorite, I used Jonny Walker Red for my burbon infusion... the brew hits its stride about 6 months after brewing..

Back