Wrong yeast, what to expect.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arby

Reaction score
So I recently did an extract hefe recipe. Now, I had two different vials of some WhiteLabs yeast in my fridge. One was the Hefe yeast, the other was a trappist.

Now, I had these in two different sections of the fridge for easy identification, but even after reading the label as I grabbed it, I grabbed the wrong yeast at the start of brewing....

I don't know why I didn't double check the label prior to pitching, but I apparently didn't.

I know there's really know point worrying about it now, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of what I could expect?

I still plan on bottling it and giving it a go. Never hurts to try, right?

With the trappist yeast on a heffe recipe you probably will end up with something roughly along the lines of a wit or a belgian blonde. That could turn out just fine although likely not to any established styles. Also, just an FYI that if you're making 5 gallon batches you need to use a starter if using vials of white labs yeast, just pitching the vial alone is not enough yeast.

Back