Lager yeast and cider, wanting to try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've made some good ciders using ale yeast. I really nailed it with the last batch, especially considering I used store bought juice.

All of that to say, I'm wanting to potentially expand my horizons with lager yeast. I have recently gotten a used fridge that at it's warmest setting is between 48 and 50°F.

Questions:
1. Is this temperature range acceptable?
2. Do ciders and lager yeasts play nice?
3. What lager yeasts are good for ciders?
4. How does primary and secondary fermentation times differ from say, brewing a beer?
5. Do I need to do the warming and recooling thing that beer has to do?

I know that's a lot and I always appreciate your responses.

I think some lager yeasts will ferment at 50.
I've only tried ale or wild yeast for cider.
I have a little experience, but understand that cider often benefits from aging.
I would think that warming to room temperature would help any yeast clean up.

A small experiment wouldn't be difficult nor expensive. Good luck, keep us posted.

I used S-189 in a batch that turned out good.
Strangely it was the only time I ever got a sulpher smell from that yeast. It faded pretty quickly.

Safeale US-04 at 64 to 72F (I run it at 62 to 64)

Safeale US-05 at 70 to 77F

D47 at 50 to 55 Deg F (Well below its recommended takes a bit longer but works great)

I’ve made cider with S23, Novalager and Diamond yeasts. All were fermented at 55F. All were good.

But, I like S04 best for cider. It seems to add a bit of complexity that I like.

My ciders are all 100% store bought apple juice. The only variety is the yeast.

Back