Would you pitch it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoundrel

Reaction score
So I've been building up a starter for an oktoberfest kit that was given to me as a gift. I've been adding wort a little at a time since the yeast is a tad old. My wife called me for help right when I was adding a quart of wort. I forgot to pull the funnel and put the foil back over it. It was very active on my stir plate at the time and it sat for 12 hours before I noticed. It was a free gift and I can't get the limited yeast. So... Would you pitch it?

I probably would. Or, hold back on my brew day and start making a starter all over again.

What is the environment like? A windy basement? Snotty nosed kids running around?

Beer has been made for thousands of years and not always under the best of conditions.

Surly said:
I probably would. Or, hold back on my brew day and start making a starter all over again.

What is the environment like? A windy basement? Snotty nosed kids running around?

Beer has been made for thousands of years and not always under the best of conditions.

I have an alcove (lab) in my basement that's all mine. :)

The environment is pretty stable but it's a basement in a 15 year old house. I can't get the yeast again and I don't want to sub out an alternative. I don't really freak out about these things. I think it will be ok but I guess I need affirmation.

Thanks so much everyone! Your responses are so much better than my wife's "dump it and turn that alcove* into a kids play area"

*BEER LAB!!!

Back