wort sample fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramjam

Hopfen und Malz Gott erhalts
Reaction score
i left a wort sample in the garage for a few days now and it is fermenting like crazy, it looks like there might be something else in there also like mold or bacteria pellicles i just wonder if i could step this up and use it for a beer

Probably not a good idea. It might be OK, but could also ruin an otherwise good wort. Mold is possible to likely, and you never want that, as for unknown secondary infections, am not a fan myself.

If you do want to mess with such stuff, recommend you start with very small batches.

Mold vs pellicle is an important distinction to make -- one of them is harmful.

They look different:
Mold is fuzzy or hairy and may be pigmented.
A pellicle is a thin film, powdery or slimy, typically clear or white. A pellicle is created by yeast and/or bacteria.
Post a clear well-lit in-focus close-up photo if you need help.

If it's fermenting, it certainly can be used to make beer! Will it be good? Who knows?

i cant really even see it this afternoon it is just big krausen it smells spoiled though, i’m not going to use it but i thought it would be neat to try

Back