(Unintentional) open fementation likely infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
I put up a cider on Wednesday and it Was already Going crazy Thursday and putting Krausen in the blowoff tube. For some reason I assumed it was at peak fermentation Friday morning and figured it was subsiding. I left for the weekend......

I came back monday to find the lid blown off about 5 ft away with a interesting shotgun dispersal pattern on the ceiling. Lol

but the mess is not the issue.

it looked like it had a perfectly normal looking thick kreusen on top so I cleaned of the lid and starsan it and replaced it.

then I noticed that it is full going fermenting with a thickeng kreusen on top like I just started it.
Bubbling in there like a lava lamp. But under the kreusen there is some slimey looking bubbles.

years ago the lid blew off a blueberry wine and I found it about 24 hours later replaced the lid and it turned out fine.. but I have no idea how long this was off

it’s likely infected with what looks like wild yeast/mold. Not Pellicle like bacteria.

salvageable?

Let it finish and try it. If it tastes bad toss it.

Or toss it now. Your choice. Though I'd wait it out and see. Once it's infected there isn't much you can do. I suppose you could boil it for a time and start over.

hey thanks for the reply

i took another look at this and i think your are right. i dotn think its infected. the kreusen fell and it looks like every other cider i have made. excited to try this one. it also is giving me ideas on trying open fermentation and also top cropping since the kreusen looked so thick when the top blew off , like i could scoop off a few million healthy clean yeast cells with ease.

thanks again

Your post made me laugh. It isn’t funny when it happens but it is later. I once had a black IPA that was to be about 13% for a beer festival that took off super quick and blew the airlock out. I came home to black sticky all over the walls and ceiling and a half gallon of yeast pouring into the floor. It never got infected. Lots of positive pressure and more resilient than you think. I’m guessing you are fine.

Latest posts

Back