Mold or pellicles, what to do…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Martin

Reaction score
I’m at the end of fermentation and preparing to keg my pale ale when I found this white mold looking developing on top the wort. I’m reading about pellicles and trying to determine next steps.

Is the beer safe to drink?
Should I just rack under the mold or whatever it is?
Should I chalk it up to prison beer and throw it out?

Thanks for any advice on this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I don't think it's mold. Looks like yeast rafts with tiny bubbles collecting around them. I'd just continue on as planned. Bottle or keg it when it's the proper time and see what it tastes like. Even if there was some pellicle forming. That only means that your beer won't be exactly what you were going for. Might not notice much more than a pleasant sour taste. But if won't be poison. You won't know for sure what it'll taste like till you try it.

Regardless you should always rack the clean stuff between the surface and the bottom of the FV.

But if you get blackish or greenish stuff growing everywhere inside the FV, even on the glass of the headspace, then maybe you should be a little leery. I know I would be likely to toss that one if I ever see such.

The infections that you here us talking about in beer aren't to be taken as meaning they are toxic. It just means that bacteria or wild yeast we didn't want in there got in. It's just the common bacteria and yeast you get exposed to everyday.

I concur with @hotbeer^ that doesn't look like mold. Just fizzy little rafts from fermentation/outgassing.
Keg it!

Should I chalk it up to prison beer and throw it out?
Prison beer gets consumed... no matter what it looks or tastes like. ;)

Latest posts

Back