Wort on last sour's cake? Repitch sach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
I had a sour that sat in my closet for a little over a year, until it finally got bottled. I rebrewed the same recipe and pitched on the cake, which was a combo of dregs and sour belgian 1. Haven't seen any "typical" fermentation activity like I would expect. But a pellicle looks like it is starting to form 2 days later. Should I be worried? Should I pitch a new sach strain? Or just RDWHAHB? Thanks everyone!

If you pitched onto an old cake I wouldn't worry, you're cell count should be PLENTY high enough to get the job done.

If the pellicle isn't totally formed yet maybe just give it a little shake to wake the yeast up

I've had a pellicle form before sacc took off before. To be clear, did you pitch a fresh sacc strain? After a year in acidic beer, I wouldn't expect that cake to have much viable sacc left in it.

I didn't pitch new sach, and was under the assumption that shaking the carboy would introduce too much oxygen resulting in vinegar

Back