Wort Chilling Fiasco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everything was going great. Mashed my grains for my Rye Scotch Ale. Boil was good. The new legs on my burner kept me from killing my back. Then everything went wrong.

I hooked my hose up to my wort chiler, but the hose was frozen (yes, brewing outside at 11 degrees). No biggie,take it down stairs to the basement and run hot water. All set. Get it hooked up and turn it on low (I've got a quick connect that holds the water until it is connected. Start to walk over to the garage and "POP", the quick connect and hose end shoot off like a bullet and the hose is spraying all over. Run over and pop the end of the hose onto the barb end of the wort chiller, it fits. But what is that spray going on..... the hose clamp on the copper tubing has slipped and it's sending a mist of water all over. I little went into the batch I'm hope the still 210 degree water will kill off anything from the hose.... fiasco..

So glad that batch is done.

That's for the laugh.
Sounds like things that happen to me sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I mixed up the water-out and wort-out on my plate chiller once. I was recirculating wort back into the kettle and...you guessed it...water straight from the faucet right into my finished brew. Couldn't boil it out so I just went with it... We all have our bad days man.

Our last brew it was 3 degrees out and our chiller water line froze. I simply put it into fermenting fridge to cool as that's about all I could do. Just racked one of those carboys and smell from dryhop is amazing. I don't see anything bad from that incident. We all have our days.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Damn 11 degrees? You could have restarted the boil. I suppose.

Whatever sprayed into your hot wort was likely sterilized right away. I wouldn't worry.

I live in the same town and brewed today also. Inside my garage (attached) it was in the 20s. I recently plumbed a freezeless hose bib on the back wall of the garage. I connected the hose, but didn't turn it on until right when I was ready to use the chiller. I was definitely happy when I saw that water running out the discharge hose and into the bucket. No freezeups.

Damn cold sitting in that garage. :mad:

Aaaaaaaaand.....

+1 for electric brewing in my kitchen!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back