Wort Chiller Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrada

Reaction score
It turns out that my faucet won't fit a wort chiller (adapters also appear to be out of the question). Aside from an ice bath, anything else that would help out? Thanks!

Back in the day i would fill 1/2 gallon juice jugs with diluted Iodaphor, then dip the jug in Iodaphor, then freeze.

When I pulled them out of the freezer, another dip in Iodaphor, then in to the wort.

I attach my chiller to the hose on the deck. Keep the pot lid on as much as I can and let 'er rip. How feasible would that be for you?

This how I connect mine....Faucet to garden hose on the tap, and stream type sprayer.

013.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

My kitchen faucet doesn't have a hose adapter either. I bought a food grade hose and run it from my laundry room next to the kitchen to the IC. Problem solved.

It turns out that my faucet won't fit a wort chiller (adapters also appear to be out of the question). Aside from an ice bath, anything else that would help out? Thanks!

They make sprayers with a rubber end connection that just fits snugly over the faucet. You could probably get one of those and then rig up some sort of way to connect the sprayer hose to your chiller input.

p304035b.jpg

I chill my beer in the sink (do indoor BIAB usually 2 gallon batches but also 5 gallon batches)

I have a double sink so I fill the one side with cool water and put the pot in the water. I then use a small aquarium pump to pump this water through my wort chiller. For the first 5 minutes I discharge the wort chiller water into the other sink because this water is very hot. After 5 minutes, I then put the outlet into the water bath and then add ice to the water.

So, I basically have a Ice Bath which I then pump this ice bath water through my wort chiller.

I chill my beer in the sink (do indoor BIAB usually 2 gallon batches but also 5 gallon batches)

I have a double sink so I fill the one side with cool water and put the pot in the water. I then use a small aquarium pump to pump this water through my wort chiller. For the first 5 minutes I discharge the wort chiller water into the other sink because this water is very hot. After 5 minutes, I then put the outlet into the water bath and then add ice to the water.

So, I basically have a Ice Bath which I then pump this ice bath water through my wort chiller.

That's not a bad idea actually. Goes further down the rabbit hole of equipment to brew, but is certainly a good idea.

I attach my chiller to the hose on the deck. Keep the pot lid on as much as I can and let 'er rip. How feasible would that be for you?

Also a good idea. Might need some Maacgyvering considering the lack of decks in the city, but I might be able to make something work.

Back in the day i would fill 1/2 gallon juice jugs with diluted Iodaphor, then dip the jug in Iodaphor, then freeze.

When I pulled them out of the freezer, another dip in Iodaphor, then in to the wort.

Thanks! Ever have any issues with contamination? How would you go about sanitizing?

I go with the pond pump through ice water to get down to pitching temps and save water. Pump was $8 on Amazon.

You can use your bottling bucket to hold ice/water and just get it higher than your BK. Run the IC inlet to your bottling bucket and the other end into a drain or other vessel. You could also use a siphon set up if you don't have a bottling bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_kever_kombi View Post

Thanks! Ever have any issues with contamination? How would you go about sanitizing?

My understanding of that method is you dip the ice jugs into the iodophore prior to dunking in the beer. Iodophor (iodine solution) is another sanitizer favored by some people.

My understanding of that method is you dip the ice jugs into the iodophore prior to dunking in the beer. Iodophor (iodine solution) is another sanitizer favored by some people.

Correct. Iodaphor is a sanitizer. The jug is also filled with a diluted solution of the Iodaphor, in case it leaks in beer, it won't contaminate.

I never had one leak in all the years I did this, but why risk it, when it only takes an extra 30 seconds to do this.

I hook mine up to the washing machine cold water faucet. Fits perfect.

This, or check under your sink for what the hose connections are like. I.e. you may be able to disconnect the cold water supply from your faucet assembly and connect it to a hose then to your chiller. If it's set up that way it should be as easy as turning the water off right under your sink.

Back