Wort chiller...is it worth the expense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of wish I would did a smaller one to start. I got 50' coil and it as overwhelming to coil and came wider than I wanted. I kinked one area, but won't be an issue once I get a cutter. My biggest issue will be a spigot. I will need a faucet adapter for a bathroom, will have to use washer hook-up but would drain in washer, or outside garden which isn't an option in the winter.

The good is I am going to end up with about a 50' wort chiller for $65 about half off a catalog for that size.

If im not at pitching temps in 20 mins im starting to sweat honestly. without a wort chiller there are plenty of other ways to chill your wort. Freezing bottles and sanitizing and tossing them in the wort is very common. The main problem with ice bathing is that you arent cooling the wort your cooling the pot. If you can bring the external temp down below freezing (salt) you can do well, but you need to whirlpool the wort to exchange heat. Lately, my gf is able to get large amounts of dry ice because she works at a hospital and I can chill down worts even faster, im even playing with the idea of tossing dry ice IN the wort to chill it. Dry ice should be mostly sterile and doesnt contain water or O2 so it might work

AdamPag said:
If im not at pitching temps in 20 mins im starting to sweat honestly. without a wort chiller there are plenty of other ways to chill your wort. Freezing bottles and sanitizing and tossing them in the wort is very common. The main problem with ice bathing is that you arent cooling the wort your cooling the pot. If you can bring the external temp down below freezing (salt) you can do well, but you need to whirlpool the wort to exchange heat. Lately, my gf is able to get large amounts of dry ice because she works at a hospital and I can chill down worts even faster, im even playing with the idea of tossing dry ice IN the wort to chill it. Dry ice should be mostly sterile and doesnt contain water or O2 so it might work[/QUI

I use an ice bath with a five gallon boil. I put water and ice in the sink with the wort, keep adding ice as it melts, and circulate the water. Also, I stir every few minutes. Get my temps down in about half an hour and I'm good with that time frame.

AdamPag said:
, im even playing with the idea of tossing dry ice IN the wort to chill it. Dry ice should be mostly sterile and doesnt contain water or O2 so it might work

Idk about this. I would just play with it. A bit of water and a bit of dry ice. In a bottle shake, cap, throw. Boom. Its fun

totally fun, I havent done it yet, Im concerned the super cold temperature could seriously alter the wort

I really hope I can find a faucet adapter to fit my garden hose setting otherwise I may be f'd on this. Spraying kitchen faucets are the devil for homebrewers... :mad:

I love my IC, as a 5 gallon AG brewer it is the best purchase I have made. Getting fancy with dry ice, lots of ice and water ever else only saves money short term and adds a truckload of work. A DIY IC can be done for less than the cost of an average AG brew, once you have the funds do it.

If your brewing 2.5 gallon batches you could do as I do. I freeze two 1 gallon jugs of spring water (unopened) and cut them open. Them just pour your hot wort on top of the ice. It will bring the temp down to 80 very quickly. I've never had a problem with clarity using this method. If your doing full boils then the wort chiller is ideal.

Without ice I took a brew down to 90 deg in 17 mins. Tap water is still about 39-40.

I just stick the kettle in the right side of the sink and run cool water around it and down the drain of the other half of the sink. This can cool 5 gallons of wort down to around room temperatures in about half an hour without much fuss. The key is to keep the cooling water from warming up so continual replenishment is key. I would purchase a wort chiller, however I don't have access to a garden spigot.

you realize you don't need a garden spigot right? the bottom piece of your normal faucet screws off and you buy a $2 adapter that goes in its place that has the appropriate threads on the outside of it.

I made a Ribcage Chiller and it is one of the best things I ever did for my brewing. It really cools the wort fast. Go to You Tube and search user immolateus, he has a vid called "how to make a wort chiller" that is nifty. Its the vid i used to make mine.

The garden spigot leaks a little but into the sink, otherwise mine seems to work well on the test run. Made a 45' IC for $55...normally would be like $125 for that size. Its not as pretty as the ones in the magazine but should be effective.

On first use should I put in a water boil first? Just don't know if any copper will tarnish or effect my beer.

@nate I drop mine in the boil for the last 10 to 15 mins to sanitize and have not had a problem yet. maybe one of the more expert brewers will address it further for you.

My buddy and I built a 20' one for about 24 dollars yesterday. We haven't tried it yet because we got the wrong attachment for his sink but that will be a cheap part exchange.

Latest posts

Back