Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, how do you hear people use it?

Welcome to the internet, where there are 10 times as many apostrophes as there should be. Which is why it really irks me when people say ******* stuff like "I should of pitched more yeast." Don't you know if your grammar was good enough to get you through 3rd grade, you could use another apostrophe?!? What could possibly be better than finding another way to cram one more apostrophe in that jibberish you're trying to pass off as English? You're missing out, chum!

Yeah you shoulda used shoulda instead

Is that better?

Out of curiosity, how do you hear people use it?

Welcome to the internet, where there are 10 times as many apostrophes as there should be. Which is why it really irks me when people say ******* stuff like "I should of pitched more yeast." Don't you know if your grammar was good enough to get you through 3rd grade, you could use another apostrophe?!? What could possibly be better than finding another way to cram one more apostrophe in that jibberish you're trying to pass off as English? You're missing out, chum!
I have become so numb to seeing writing like this that I didn't catch the error at first...

What kind of grinds my gears is when someone at work who has 10+ years of experience in engineering and writes letters to the EPA doesn't know how to spell or the difference between "formerly" and "formally" or "personal" and "personnel". They made a presentation where I couldn't figure out what was going on because of the formally/formerly issue.

Yeah you shoulda used shoulda instead

Is that better?

Much better than the nonsensical "should of." At least this captures a common colloquialism accurately. Phrases like "should of" and "could of" and such are errors where the author can't be bothered to think about what he or she is writing for the briefest of moments.

Sorry to interrupt the grammar lesson. :D

I can't stand the words 'fair' and 'accept'. As in "to be fair, you have to accept my lifestyle"

Sorry to interrupt the grammar lesson. :D

I can't stand the words 'fair' and 'accept'. As in "to be fair, you have to accept my lifestyle"

Ummmmmm.....what? You hate them in that particular statement?

Sounds like you hate the phrase "to be fair" which I can dig.

If you hate the phrase someone says about being tolerant, the I may cross swords with you.

"I seen" as in "The other day I seen this awesome.... (insert whatever here)"

Hate this. Drives me nuts. Not sure if it's just a Jersey thing or not, but it makes you sound like an uneducated moron!

Also your and you're. It's not hard people. YOUR shows ownership. YOU'RE means YOU ARE. As in "You're a moron." or "Your moron." One means you are a moron. The other means you are the owner of a moron.

And the punctuation thing. I see posts where no punctuation is used. No periods, no commas, not even a capital letter. How the f##k are we suppose to understand YOUR question when we can't tell where a sentence begins or ends.

And the punctuation thing. I see posts where no punctuation is used. No periods, no commas, not even a capital letter. How the f##k are we suppose to understand YOUR question when we can't tell where a sentence begins or ends.

Out of curiosity, is it this worse than the author who knows only one form of punctuation, the ellipsis? I waffle on this one. Is it more painful to see no punctuation at all, or a crapton of ellipses? I just don't know. You?

Out of curiosity, is it this worse than the author who knows only one form of punctuation, the ellipsis? I waffle on this one. Is it more painful to see no punctuation at all, or a crapton of ellipses? I just don't know. You?

Ummm......

I use them to illustrate a pause or uncomfortable silence. I know they can also be used as in: "Goldtuborg is a ..." (insert "personifacation of AWESOMENESS";)) to show that a word was left out.

To answer your other question, I am a champion of Tolerance and carry a REAL sword.....(in addition to my PENIS)

;)

There is a time and place for everything, including properly placed ellipses and drawings of your sword(s). It's all in the timing.

And I tip my hat to you, sir, for your very kind compliment. :ban:

I would like to find out why its acceptable to comment on somebody being tall. If you comment on any other physical attribute your rude. Apparently above average height is ok though. I'm 6'6" tall and about 225-235 # and have heard them all.

How's the weather up there?

They grow them big back home.

Must have been something in the water

I didn't know they stacked **** that high

I have been above average height my whole life I really don't need you to come up and tell me that I'm tall. Believe me I already know. I know I just hit my head on your ceiling and feel like a jackass already. Please don't make some wise crack about my height.

Also being left handed sucks too. I know I am standing on the wrong side of the golfball you tell me every time we play golf. It's not funny anymore.

Sounds like you hate the phrase "to be fair" which I can dig.

If you hate the phrase someone says about being tolerant, the I may cross swords with you.

I appreciate tolerance. But it really aggravates me when people use the word acceptance where tolerance should be used. To accept something means-to show likeness. To receive with approval etc... Tolerate means to put up with something. I can tolerate a crapload of stuff without having to accept any of it.

Keep your sword in its scabbard. Both of them :D

Keep your sword in its scabbard. Both of them :D

Thank you for being a 1%er. And by that, I mean being amongst the 1% of English speakers to know the difference between its and it's. :D

As for your interpretation of "accept," I'm not sure I fully agree with you. I see people use it in two similar, but different, kinds of ways. One is simply a way to ask acceptance of, as in this definition from the OED:

To endure (an event, situation, or person) with patience or resignation; to tolerate, submit to; to come to terms with.

Another is a shorthand for accepting something as [valid, etc.], as in this alternate definition, also from the OED:

To consider or recognize (a person or thing) to be a specified thing, or to have a specified quality; to take as authentic, valid, or adequate; to believe (a statement or theory). Also with that-clause. Formerly also †intr. with of (obs.).

Neither of those have anything to do with approving of what you are accepting, as such, simply recognizing it as something that others may have just cause to adopt, believe, do, and so forth. We have lots of engineers around here, for example. I would never want to be one, but I accept their rationale as to why its a good choice for them, and accept the presence of engineers in society as a good, or at least as something other than a problem. I think that's the kind of acceptance most people are looking for when they ask for it.

If they ask for more, well, they may do so at their own peril. I'm of the mind that that kind of use is the exception, rather than the rule, but I could be wrong.

Don't know if selfie (not sure of the spelling) has been said but what a stupid made up word!!!
First time I heard that term I busted up laughing cause it sounds like something you are supposed to do in privacy.

I hate it when someone uses the word "weary" when they mean either "wary" or "leary." As in, "I'm weary of leaving my wallet in the car." Oh really? It makes you tired to do that but you're not afraid of someone stealing it? Got it.

Thank you for being a 1%er. And by that, I mean being amongst the 1% of English speakers to know the difference between its and it's. :D

As for your interpretation of "accept," I'm not sure I fully agree with you. I see people use it in two similar, but different, kinds of ways. One is simply a way to ask acceptance of, as in this definition from the OED:

To endure (an event, situation, or person) with patience or resignation; to tolerate, submit to; to come to terms with.

Another is a shorthand for accepting something as [valid, etc.], as in this alternate definition, also from the OED:

To consider or recognize (a person or thing) to be a specified thing, or to have a specified quality; to take as authentic, valid, or adequate; to believe (a statement or theory). Also with that-clause. Formerly also †intr. with of (obs.).

Neither of those have anything to do with approving of what you are accepting, as such, simply recognizing it as something that others may have just cause to adopt, believe, do, and so forth. We have lots of engineers around here, for example. I would never want to be one, but I accept their rationale as to why its a good choice for them, and accept the presence of engineers in society as a good, or at least as something other than a problem. I think that's the kind of acceptance most people are looking for when they ask for it.

If they ask for more, well, they may do so at their own peril. I'm of the mind that that kind of use is the exception, rather than the rule, but I could be wrong.

I will tolerate this reply without accepting it. That's the difference between tolerance and acceptance.

I will tolerate this reply without accepting it. That's the difference between tolerance and acceptance.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. I don't know if you're giving an evaluation of the post, or simply explaining what you take the difference to be, but let's assume the former. It will help tease out the meaning.

Tolerate is a pretty straightforward word. Its meaning has nuance in different situations, but there isn't a whole lot of variation. So, in general, I think I know what you mean by that.

Now when you say you don't accept the reply, what do you mean, exactly? You don't think it's true, or that its reasoning is compelling? Do you not think it's relevant to the discussion at hand? Are the definitions of "accept" not what you mean when you say or hear the word? Do you mean something else? The word "accept" has a far greater range of meanings that "tolerate" - the OED lists no fewer than 20 unique definitions. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just really don't follow you.

I think he's saying he doesn't agree but he's not going to start an argument about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

That was a pretty awesome game.

171587-moo.jpg

I suppose he could accept the post but not tolerate it. In that case he would be accepting what you say and countering with an argument. Or he could accept and tolerate meaning he understood what you said and will tolerate it but not agree. Yeah I'm not an English major

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm not trying to be difficult

Too late for that. I really don't feel like justifying my OPINION to you. You are obviously a word wizard with extraordinary command of the English language. No matter how I answer, I will be pigeon-holed by your superior intellect.

How many definitions are there for ****** bag?

Oh good lord. Overreact much? I can see why you haven't quite made it to heaven yet. :p

Look, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry if things came off that way. I was merely trying to give some sort of evidence for my earlier claim that, when people ask for acceptance, they often aren't asking for what you think they're asking for. That is no matter of opinion, but of fact. I never questioned or belittled any opinions you might hold.

Anyway, this little tangent has clearly run its course. I hope we can both amicably agree to get back to stuff that irritates us.

Don't know if selfie (not sure of the spelling) has been said but what a stupid made up word!!!
First time I heard that term I busted up laughing cause it sounds like something you are supposed to do in privacy.

While I agree that it is a dumb word, I put it to you that your cited reason is illegitimate. All words where at some point made up were they not?

I suppose that you are correct. Either way it is still a word that makes me grind my teeth whenever I hear it. I am also not a fan of cyber bulling.

Gee, I was just going to weigh in on the "accept and tolerate" debate. I'm not sure I can accept that it's over. And I don't have to tolerate it. Please take your hands off of your swords.
:D

Why the heck is everything a ______gate nowadays on the news? Why do they need to make everything a named thing. It snows, its snowmageddon, it rains, it is a biblical flood, a politition sneezes its sneeze-gate?

TLDR - Any term manufactured by the news naming something that happened to make it sound more... impactful?

Hey, how did you know my hand was on my "sword?"
my grandma says you're always sharpening your sword. I never knew what she meant until now.:eek:

Why the heck is everything a ______gate nowadays on the news? Why do they need to make everything a named thing. It snows, its snowmageddon, it rains, it is a biblical flood, a politition sneezes its sneeze-gate?

TLDR - Any term manufactured by the news naming something that happened to make it sound more... impactful?

one time my sister had a massive sneezegate that caused a snowmageddon that melted into a biblical flood of epic proportions upon which they had to make the schools all closed-gate. it was epic, brah.:rockin:

Hefe is German for yeast
Weizen is German for wheat.
When one says they brewed a "hefe", that means they brewed yeast.
You didn't brew a "hefe", you brewed a weizen.
And you certainly didn't brew an "American Hefe"
You brewed an American weizen, or better yet an American wheat beer.
"brew sculpture" also bugs me.

Hefe is German for yeast
Weizen is German for wheat.
When one says they brewed a "hefe", that means they brewed yeast.
You didn't brew a "hefe", you brewed a weizen.
And you certainly didn't brew an "American Hefe"
You brewed an American weizen, or better yet an American wheat beer.
"brew sculpture" also bugs me.
You're one of those guys that refuse to allow "Stephen" or "Frederick" to be shortened to "Steve" or "Fred", aren't you?

Back