Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's called verbing, which is one of the most autological words I can think of.
and now, a reading from the book of Calvin:

CalvinAndHobbes.png

Sorry man, I was drunk and trying to make a joke and it didnt come out right. I wasnt freaking out or anything. My Bad. Ha,ha.:cross: I dont think "your" arrogant. I meant it in context of My bad's meaning and somebody admiting fault and the joke went all haywire. Chairs flying,glass breaking,looting.. you know the whole 9 yards. Any way again, my bad, my bad joke.:eek::confused: I think somewhere in there I was just being a drunk smartass and I still cant figure out what the hell I was thinking or reading. That said, I apologize if I offended you and my bad.:) I think now, Im just really entertaining myself. Hey, at least nobodys drinking and driving-this is like totally safe texting and stuff.

It didn't offend me, it just came across as a bit *****y. Don't worry about it, it was my bad.;)

I only think it has become accepted through constant misuse. If "preventative" is a word, it's root is "preventate". As in: I want to preventate anyone from using this silly word.

Yup, that clearly follows. You can preventate this exploitive use of the English language if you write to your Representive in Congress. If s/he is argumentive enough to push through authoritive (or some might say exploitive) legislation, we can do away with this silly use of language.

;)

Yup, that clearly follows. You can preventate this exploitive use of the English language if you write to your Representive in Congress. If s/he is argumentive enough to push through authoritive (or some might say exploitive) legislation, we can do away with this silly use of language.

;)

Finally! Someone gets it! :)
Though, of course, commentator and representative are nouns.
And God forbid congress should try to regulate language, they suck at the stuff they are authoritated to do presentatively.

presentatively.

Hilarious.

Though, of course, commentator and representative are nouns.

As I used it, "representative" was, but it can also be an adjective. "Commentative" is rare, but is used on occasion. It's mainly British, I believe.

Anyway, it's all close enough for gov't work, right? I was just trying to think of any roots that get the extra "ta" (or similar addition) when they change forms. Many of them we wouldn't want to do without. Some have different meanings (systematic/systemic), some different uses on either side of the pond, and of course, some are just good old mistakes. Language is a funny thing. It never ceases to amaze (and frustrate) me.

There are plenty for everyone.

There'd better be! :mad:

Back on topic now, I've heard several people today drop the "have" out of sentences when the past participle "got" is used. It's bugging me more than usual, even though I know this is a common error. I want to shake people and tell them the drivel that is coming out of their mouths doesn't mean what they think it means.

Well if it's used in the past tense like "I got a speeding ticket" I'd say it's not appropriate to use "have" but if it's in the future tense like "I have got to go shopping this weekend" then it's just bad grammar all the way around.

Is there any situation where "have" and "got" are appropriate together? Maybe as a past passive participle? "Having gotten a ticket on my way to work, I slowed down and arrived late".

Damn, after reading that, I want to kick my own ass!

Well if it's used...

Oh, clearly there are good uses of this construction. I'm not denying that - it's the simple past tense of "to get." But in these cases the "have" was intended, but simply dropped. So "I have got to see that movie," which is a clunkier but acceptable way to say "I have to (want/need to) see that movie," makes perfect sense. But when you drop the "have" and expect it to mean the same thing, it's obnoxious.

It gets even worse when the construction "have got" is used to simply mean "have," then the "have is dropped." So instead of saying "I have that DVD," some are inclined to say "I've got that DVD" and intend the same meaning. When the "have" is dropped, and the same meaning is intended, I'm always tempted to mock people.

"I got mad game!"
"Oh yeah? When did you receive it?"
"Huh?"

or

"I got to see that movie!"
"Oh, how was it?"
"No, I mean I got to see it. I got to (gotta) go this weekend."
"You mean this past weekend, clearly..."
"Huh?"
stabstabstab

Is there any situation where "have" and "got" are appropriate together? Maybe as a past passive participle? "Having gotten a ticket on my way to work, I slowed down and arrived late".

There are plenty, depending upon how strict you mean to be as a grammarian. Your examples are fine, as is, I would hold, the use to mean some rough equivalent of have/want/need to or must. It's mainly the use to mean exactly "have" that bothers me, as the extra word there is clearly superfluous. Beyond that, since people tend to focus on it, the functional verb of the sentence, whether it stands alone or part of a contraction, is often dropped. It drives me nuts. :mad:

...It gets even worse when the construction "have got" is used to simply mean "have," then the "have is dropped." So instead of saying "I have that DVD," some are inclined to say "I've got that DVD" and intend the same meaning. When the "have" is dropped, and the same meaning is intended, I'm always tempted to mock people...

I sure that it was a typo but is the have still there :D I got to be right on that one?

I sure that it was a typo but is the have still there :D I got to be right on that one?

No, I meant to use the contraction. What I mean is the "have" is eventually dropped entirely, whether used in its entirety or as part of a contraction.

Or are you rather asking the larger question of, if it's only used as part of a contraction, is it really even there anymore? And if a tree falls in the forest...;)

No, I meant to use the contraction. What I mean is the "have" is eventually dropped entirely, whether used in its entirety or as part of a contraction.

Or are you rather asking the larger question of, if it's only used as part of a contraction, is it really even there anymore? And if a tree falls in the forest...;)

Sorry I didn't get you were meaning before the Have got completely dropped - I just do hear that all the time - "I got to do this/that..."

Okay, it was bad enough in the corporate world (and then as smartphones gained in popularity among the masses, private life as well) getting an email with the signature line saying "Sent from my Blackberry wireless device" and then "Sent from my iPhone" or "Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G device". I wanted to grab those people and slap them with a brick.

But now we have to put up with it in the forums here, too??? ARE YOU FARKING KIDDING ME????

Okay, it was bad enough in the corporate world (and then as smartphones gained in popularity among the masses, private life as well) getting an email with the signature line saying "Sent from my Blackberry wireless device" and then "Sent from my iPhone" or "Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G device". I wanted to grab those people and slap them with a brick.

But now we have to put up with it in the forums here, too??? ARE YOU FARKING KIDDING ME????

Sending out a commercial for some product you purchased every time you send a message.. I don't understand it either. I never know if the person is proud, or too lazy to fix it.

Sent from my Charter 30 Mbps home built desktop.:D

Quoted in its righteous entirety because I literally jumped over to this thread to post the exact same thing.

Cheers! <grumble>

A few alternative signatures I found funny,
&#8220;Sent from my Atari 2600&#8243;

&#8220;Sent from Portable Telephone Machine&#8221;

&#8220;Sent from my whiteberry&#8221;

&#8220;This space for rent. Offers only accepted via fax.&#8221;

&#8220;Sent from my eyePhone&#8221;

&#8220;Sent from my cassette tape player&#8221;

&#8220;Sent using the interwebs&#8221;

&#8220;Sent from my iPod Shuffle&#8221;

Sending out a commercial for some product you purchased every time you send a message.. I don't understand it either. I never know if the person is proud, or too lazy to fix it.

Sent from my Charter 30 Mbps home built desktop.:D

Too lz

“Sent from my Atari 2600&#8243;

“Sent from Portable Telephone Machine”

“Sent from my whiteberry”

“This space for rent. Offers only accepted via fax.”

“Sent from my eyePhone”

“Sent from my cassette tape player”

“Sent using the interwebs”

“Sent from my iPod Shuffle”

Sent from my ENIAC 1 computer.

eniac1.jpg

In other news, Japanese government officials sign unconditional surrender in ceremony aboard USS Missouri....film at eleven...

“Sent from my Atari 2600&#8243;

“Sent from Portable Telephone Machine”

“Sent from my whiteberry”

“This space for rent. Offers only accepted via fax.”

“Sent from my eyePhone”

“Sent from my cassette tape player”

“Sent using the interwebs”

“Sent from my iPod Shuffle”

I have a whiteberry. It's white.

I have a whiteberry. It's white.

Racist.

My phrase I hate: "I can't give you an example, just don't do it!" Sorry, had my fiancee tell me that tonight and I still don't know what I did wrong. Oh well, she had some drinks in her so doubt she meant it.

there's a topic for a whole other thread: sh*t SWMBO says that you're supposed to interpret as something other than what the words out of her mouth actually meant

"Multiple", at least applied in the context of football.

Seems every talking head in the game that is referring to a team that runs a bunch of different formations as "being multiple". I can't stand it.

"Social justice." or "Economic justice." No such things. They're just pinko commie buzzwords for "redistribution of wealth."

Yeah, I've yet to meet anyone who was in favor of the redistribution of THEIR wealth.

Remember, no matter how f'd up you think your circumstances might be, there are millions who would trade places in a minute.

Yeah, I've yet to meet anyone who was in favor of the redistribution of THEIR wealth.

Remember, no matter how f'd up you think your circumstances might be, there are millions who would trade places in a minute.

Yep. I work too hard for what I have for some who refuses to work to just vote and take it from me.

"At any rate" wtf does that even mean?

"Mitigate" people use this word and don't even know what it means

Trying to lower my pedantic grammar threshold, but that's a work in progress.

"'s" as a plural
Irregardless
Very unique
Gift as a verb (and gifting)
Calling a lectern a podium

"Mitigate" people use this word and don't even know what it means

Out of curiosity, how do you hear people use it?

"'s" as a plural

Welcome to the internet, where there are 10 times as many apostrophes as there should be. Which is why it really irks me when people say ******* stuff like "I should of pitched more yeast." Don't you know if your grammar was good enough to get you through 3rd grade, you could use another apostrophe?!? What could possibly be better than finding another way to cram one more apostrophe in that jibberish you're trying to pass off as English? You're missing out, chum!

Back