Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I hear:

"Cryogenically pre-frozen wolves have thawed, and are, as we speak, in your bathroom closet, perfecting cold fusion" one more time, I will pay more heed.

But REALLY!!!! "Pre-frozen"??????Pre what?

"It's all good." No, you worthless, filthy, dreadlock sporting motherfokker, it's NOT "all good." If it really were "all good," I'd be 100 miles away from you & your sandal wearing hippie stink; and BTW, bay leaves & curry powder are NOT deoderant.

Sorry HBTers, I didn't mean to rant.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
"It's all good." No, you worthless, filthy, dreadlock sporting motherfokker, it's NOT "all good." If it really were "all good," I'd be 100 miles away from you & your sandal wearing hippie stink; and BTW, bay leaves & curry powder are NOT deoderant.

Sorry HBTers, I didn't mean to rant.
Regards, GF.

Dudeman you are harshing my mellow brah

gratus fermentatio said:
"....... and BTW, bay leaves & curry powder are NOT deoderant.

Maybe they're taking Old Spice too literally.
"I'm not spending all that money to support a corporation, man. I can whip this stuff up from the spice cabinet at my parents' house."
:D

My mother uses "spendy" to mean expensive. It's an Oregonian thing, and she picked it up while living there.

Interesting. I'm from Oregon and didn't know that it was only used locally. I use both terms all the time. I kinda feel unique now.

Yeah, it's a Pac NW thing. I grew up in the Midwest. We said pricey.

I've lived all over the country and that is the only place I've heard it commonly used .

Another regional thing is ick as in "that is icky" for something that is disgusting being pronounced "ish" in Minnesota.

"A bug just splatted on the window. Ewwww. Ish."

WTH is that? Ha!

Both grate on my a bit, just because they are different than what I heard growing up, I guess.

"Needless to say..."

If it is 'needless to say' then don't say it. If it is necessary to say it, then don't use the phrase.

Also, misuse of the word "literally."

If you use 'literally', what you say after it must be literally true. I got a health care update in the mail. It said

"We literally waded through thousands of pages of documents."

Literally waded? Really? There was a swimming pool filled with thousands of pieces of paper and you walked through it?

Or perhaps you "waded through literally thousands of pages of documents."

Or actually it's more likely "your attorneys read over a thousand pages of documents."

"Needless to say..."

If it is 'needless to say' then don't say it. If it is necessary to say it, then don't use the phrase.

If you use 'literally', what you say after it must be literally true. I got a health care update in the mail. It said

Literally waded? Really? There was a swimming pool filled with thousands of pieces of paper and you walked through it?

Or actually it's more likely "your attorneys read over a thousand pages of documents."

Literally made me think of the Oatmeal's rant on Literally.

3.png

4.png

5.png

seeing how I am a huge hockey addict and watch the nhl network every night.. I am completely sick of hearing Keven Weeks and any other tv personality saying wickets... Any time a goal goes 5-hole or if the goalie does not stop the puck with his pads they use the work wickets..... It's SOOOO F****ng annoying

"Take what he said with a grain of salt"

Yknow how small a single grain of salt is? What's that going to help? Even if you used a whole bunch of grains of salt so you could actually taste it, how is that going to keep your Uncle Marvin's advice from sucking? Its a dumb phrase.

Speaking of salt. "Salt of the earth". Yknow what happens when you add salt to earth? STUFF WONT GROW THERE FOR A LONG TIME.

Thats not a good thing.

Yeah, it's a Pac NW thing. I grew up in the Midwest. We said pricey.

I've lived all over the country and that is the only place I've heard it commonly used .

Another regional thing is ick as in "that is icky" for something that is disgusting being pronounced "ish" in Minnesota.

"A bug just splatted on the window. Ewwww. Ish."

WTH is that? Ha!

Both grate on my a bit, just because they are different than what I heard growing up, I guess.

had forgotten "ISH" in the 26 years since I moved away from Minnesota.

but can never forget Minnesotans asking "can you BORROW ME some money?"

"what? are you asking me to loan you money? or you want me to borrow money from you?"

"Needless to say..."

that bugs me too. heard on the radio, one of those ads the DJ has to read as part of the station's contract: "Christmas is LITERALLY right around the corner"

think I figuratively peed my pants. but cautiously rounded every corner, so I would not literally run into Christmas

Might have been mentioned earlier, but using "itch" in place of "scratch." If something itches, you scratch it. You don't itch what itches. Unless you're into being itchy I guess.

Not exactly a "word or phrase", but tonight on FB, a former coworker of mine posted a question: "We're thinking we want to get a dog. Any suggestions?" Myself being the owner of (or is it owned by) a Labrador Retriever, and knowing her husband is an avid hunter - including waterfowl - I suggested a Lab immediately.

The next post? "Get a black cat! Cats are the greatest!"

Um... They're looking for a dog. Last time I checked, there was no breed of canine called "black cat". I bet you're the kind of person that hears someone is looking for a 4wd truck, and recommends a Schwinn.

Not exactly a "word or phrase", but tonight on FB, a former coworker of mine posted a question: "We're thinking we want to get a dog. Any suggestions?" Myself being the owner of (or is it owned by) a Labrador Retriever, and knowing her husband is an avid hunter - including waterfowl - I suggested a Lab immediately.

The next post? "Get a black cat! Cats are the greatest!"

Um... They're looking for a dog. Last time I checked, there was no breed of canine called "black cat". I bet you're the kind of person that hears someone is looking for a 4wd truck, and recommends a Schwinn.

I also like how they specified "black cat", as if the color has any bearing on how it would be as a pet. Granted, with a black cat you could set it loose in front of people on the street and watch them panic, but still...

"NOTATED"

Yes it technically is a word. I 'm gonna be lazy and stet my understanding of it....

"Word or words of a different font from the body of the page (usually smaller) and located in the margins"

The interest rate on a loan is NOT EFFING NOTATED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOD DAMNED PAGE. YOU ARE SAYING THAT TO SOUND MORE SMARTER YOU POOPY POOP NOT SMARTEREST PERSON!

"ergo, therefore, per," all used incorrectly. Use it right, thumbs up smarty pants. Use them wrong? Your parents should have raised you better.

Latest posts

Back