Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phrase: "I come from the old school!"
Translation: "I'm an insufferable prick!"

Exception: Hip hop pioneers.

Phrase: "I come from the old school!"
Translation: "I'm an insufferable prick!"

Exception: Hip hop pioneers.

FUNNY Story.

My brother in law, good enough guy, says "old school" all the time. So we are driving down an old road with trees on either side.

He says "Look You all! Through the trees there you can see this old-school.......well.....it's an old....school.

Indeed it was an old falling down school house. I found it pretty damned funny at the time that his brain deemed it necessary to qualify an old school as "old-school" ;).

I hate it when a reporter or a so-called "journalist" asks someone how they feel. As in "Mr. Sheriff you fired a deputy due to his severely beating a prisoner who was hancuffed to the bench & unable to defend himself, the entire incident caught on video; then somone reviews the firing, and reinstates the deputy...
How does that make you feel?"

I'll bet Walter Cronkite never once, in all his career, ever said "how does that make you feel" during any interview he ever conducted. Now most of the reporters & anchors all want to be "personalities" rather than just report the news. If I want commentary, I'll turn on golf; otherwise anchors & reporters shouldn't comment on the news, they should just report it. The audience is fully capable of forming their own opinions.
OK, that's my "Rant du Jour." Regards, GF.

Or even worse - the latest trend in "news" where they incorporate social media posts into the report. Just because someone tweeted a hash-tag or posted a comment on a Facebook page does not make them a valid source or an expert on the topic!

Or even worse - the latest trend in "news" where they incorporate social media posts into the report. Just because someone tweeted a hash-tag or posted a comment on a Facebook page does not make them a valid source or an expert on the topic!

This isn't quite the same, but the one local network appears to have made all their anchors/reporters get iPads or another tablet PC. I now see on a daily basis where the anchor will be conducting an interview with a reporter on-site, who will then hold up their tablet to the camera and display to the viewer the printed version of the story on their website. It's beyond maddening.

"level set"

I have worked at the same largish company in the same role for the past 5 years and never heard this phrase. We began a top down resturcture about a year and a half ago (our CIO of 25 years was replaced this week), and now I hear this phrase almost daily! I hate whoever brought this plague to our company.

"Configurator" This is not a word. I don't care if it's in the stupid corporate newsletter, it's still not a word.

I can't take it anymore **rant on**

People, please stop using the word I when it should be me.

When you post a picture of something and you it is NOT "here is a picture of my mash tun and I" (or my wife and I)

It is "my mash tun and ME". You wouldn't say "Here is a picture of I" would you? Of course not. You would say "Here is a picture of me.

If you are wondering if you should use I or me, take the other thing out of the sentence. If it sounds stupid to say I than it should be me.

Stop it using I when it should be me. You are killing I

**rant off*

"and what not".

I hate "and what not".

You might as well say, "I'm too stupid to finish the rest of this thought, so I'm going dangle a nothing phrase instead."

I can't take it anymore **rant on**

People, please stop using the word I when it should be me.

When you post a picture of something and you it is NOT "here is a picture of my mash tun and I" (or my wife and I)

It is "my mash tun and ME". You wouldn't say "Here is a picture of I" would you? Of course not. You would say "Here is a picture of me.

If you are wondering if you should use I or me, take the other thing out of the sentence. If it sounds stupid to say I than it should be me.

Stop it using I when it should be me. You are killing I

**rant off*

_ _ _ _ and I, is specifically how it's taught in school.

No it isn't.

Not in this instance.

(although that is a very common, albeit incorrect belief)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/i-or-me

The two personal pronouns I and me are often used wrongly, usually in sentences in which I is being used with another noun. Here are some tips to help you get it right:

Use the pronoun I, along with other subjective pronouns such as we, he, she, you, and they, when the pronoun is the subject of a verb:
He went to bed.
We waited for the bus.
Clare and I are going for coffee.

In the last example, the pronoun I, together with the proper noun Clare, forms the subject of the sentence, so you need to use I rather than me.

Use the pronoun me, along with other objective pronouns such as us, him, her, you, and them, when the pronoun is the object of a verb or preposition:
Danny thanked them.
The dog followed us.
Rose spent the day with Jake and me.

Me, together with Jake, forms the object of the last sentence, so you need to use the pronoun me rather than the pronoun I.

Get it right, people. Stop sounding like a tool and driving me nuts.

Someone recently accused me of being a "liberalist". I gave him the benefit of the doubt, asked him to repeat himself. "Liberalist". Do I need to even mention all that is wrong with this?

CreamyGoodness said:
Someone recently accused me of being a "liberalist". I gave him the benefit of the doubt, asked him to repeat himself. "Liberalist". Do I need to even mention all that is wrong with this?

What? Are you actually a conservativist? ;)

I hate "Sir, you need to leave or we're going to have to call the police"

I second the "Having said that,..." "With that said,..." etc. Drives me bugs.
Also:
prolly
ect.
closure
epiphany
surreal

"and what not".

I hate "and what not".

You might as well say, "I'm too stupid to finish the rest of this thought, so I'm going dangle a nothing phrase instead."

I hear ya Beernik. My girlfriend says "and what not" all the damn time! Drives me crazy.

I hate whenever anyone uses the expression "I'm torn". Cause I've seen an episiotomy.

Back