Woo! Got a free 20# CO2 Tank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
My boss just asked me if I'd like this 20# half-filled CO2 tank that was left in one of his rental units....HELL YES.

Was a Pepsi tank (has deposit label on it for $100), and I haven't checked the last certified date, although I'm sure its expired.

Anything I need to worry about? How can I confirm it is CO2 (I'm pretty sure it is, as its labeled CO2).

Tank does have gas in it, as when I turn the valve it does jet out.

No kidding, I'm just not sure if I need to do anything to it, or confirm the Co2 is actually CO2. I just bought my single corny kit on the weekend, my porter isn't ready to go in yet, so I'm rather keg inexperienced.

Can anyone tell me how to identify the last certification date? I'm just not sure where to look.

Good luck getting anywhere to fill up a pepsi tank as it is illegal. I had 3 welding shops turn me away when I brought one to them.

No, it is not illegal. Some companies may not want to refill it, thinking that it is stolen. And that is their choice. But it's not illegal.

You could contact Pepsi and ask them for a letter stating that you are authorized to have the tank and that any CO2 supplier need not worry about refilling it.

Most places will take it, or at least re-fill it if they don't want to switch it out. I got mine in a similar manner. As a favor, Pepsi gave two of them to the "club" we have organized at my work place. After years of being used and refilled at a local fire extinguisher shop, the club has petered out, so they decided to get rid of the beer equipment. I got one of the 20lb tanks that was going into the trash. Way out of date, but I switch it out fo a full one anyway so I didn't care.

Thanks everyone.

It appears to be dated 05, 96 so its a good 15 years old. I just had my 5# new tank filled at a Fire Supply place, was $19. I asked them about this tank, and they'll fill it for $35, but it does certainly need the $24 recertification.

Do tanks normally pass certification at 15 years?

Back