WLP648 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois Vrai

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaftCaskBC

Reaction score
Just brewed a citra dry hopped witbier 100% fermented with brett brux trois vrai. It turned out really good, and more sour than a typical brett fermentation. Only advice I have is to make sure the fermentation temp is minimum 80F.

It seems to impart a similar profile to that of citra: apricot, pineapple and some lemon/lime plus a musty backdrop similar to that of some biere de gardes.

Cheers!

I have a peach saison going with it now. I can't wait to taste it. This will be my first all brett ferment.

Thats weird that its sour if its all brett. The all brett beers Ive made dont even have that tartness that brett can impart in mixed fermentations. I know that it will produce acetic acid in teh presence of oxygen. Do you think that mightve caused it? Otherwise, id bet its an infection, though a tasty one

Thats weird that its sour if its all brett. The all brett beers Ive made dont even have that tartness that brett can impart in mixed fermentations. I know that it will produce acetic acid in teh presence of oxygen. Do you think that mightve caused it? Otherwise, id bet its an infection, though a tasty one

m00ps,

Thats a good point about infection.

I have had multiple contaminations in my product purchases from both wyeast and white labs. Every time I contact them about a possible contamination they deny even the possibility of any sort of contamination. I have have viewed small apiculate yeast under a scope, directly from a pediococcus package.

I am sure bacterial contamination is possible as well.

Another possibility could be the final pH of the beer, brett in some cases has a lower terminal pH than most sach beers. However if it is actually "sour" then there is probably some sort of infection.

Daft,

Where did you get the wlp drie, my LHBS doesnt carry it.

The descriptor says:

"The vrai (true, in French) Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois. The infamous strain used for all-Brettanomyces fermentations, has a robust, complex sour character with aromas of pear. Best used as a primary fermentation strain."

I have yet to pull a pH reading on the beer, but it is extremely unlikely that it became infected from my brewing. I was a professional brewer before I started homebrewing. Maybe the sample has lacto in with it, because it seems to have the same quality as this fantome saison dregs beer I am brewing that came in at a pH of about 4.

m00ps,

I have had multiple contaminations in my product purchases from both wyeast and white labs. Every time I contact them about a possible contamination they deny even the possibility of any sort of contamination. I have have viewed small apiculate yeast under a scope, directly from a pediococcus package.

Another possibility could be the final pH of the beer, brett in some cases has a lower terminal pH than most sach beers. However if it is actually "sour" then there is probably some sort of infection.

Daft,

I got it from these local guys: http://www.bosagrape.com/online-catalog/

Combining the vrai with the French saison strain would probably make for a fantastic biere de garde. It has that mustiness similar to 3 monts.

Currently I was thinking of using the French Ale WLP072 for my primary, with the WLP650 in secondary. However, this is my first trip into wilds, so any help or recommendations are welcome.

Also, after drinking Anchorage Brewing Co. Anadromous I collected dregs, so maybe i'll grow and pitch that?

Currently I was thinking of using the French Ale WLP072 for my primary, with the WLP650 in secondary. However, this is my first trip into wilds, so any help or recommendations are welcome.

Also, after drinking Anchorage Brewing Co. Anadromous I collected dregs, so maybe i'll grow and pitch that?

I would probably skip the Anadromous dregs because of the pedio and lacto. Stick with brett for the first time into wilds.

When using brett (WLP650) I use either the dregs of an Orval or a Green Flash Rayon Vert so that way I get a beer out of it. No need to buy the brett itself if you have access to either of those two beers.

For a biere de garde fermented with 650 attempt to get your hands on 648. It will taste closer to style. If you can't then just stick with the Saison Dupont primary strain and add straight brett for a saison brett. The flavours will mesh better together.

im stepping up a blend of bacteria with some crooked stave, anchorage, and prarie artisan ales dregs and I agree. If you go full sour with bacteria, you should definitely plan ahead to have new plastic equipment ready for the next time you do anything

m00ps,

Daft,

Very late to the party, but I wanted to chime in for future viewers that there are likely two things going on here:

1) 648 is the most acetic brett I've ever put onto plates. It straight smells like pickles.

2) My first vial purchased in june of 2015, required extensive effort (read: successive streaks onto selective plates) to isolate a brett strain from multiple motile rod-shaped bacterium. I did not bother figuring out what else was in that vial, I just knew it wasn't a eukaryote.

Back