Wine Yeast + Brett in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched the Lochristi blend over the weekend. It's already developing a mild funk on the nose. It doesn't seem to clash aroma wise, so I am still hopeful. Fingers crossed

I checked the gravity of 1 gallon of my original beer with wine yeast that I added brett to. It's been fermenting since the 11th of February. The gravity dropped from 1.013 to 1.005. There was a pellicle on top. The flavor, however, was not good. I had to dump the sample. I can't quite describe the flavor but it was just not drinkable. I would say though that since the gravity dropped it's safe to say that brett will not get killed by a killer wine yeast strain. I'm going to let the rest of the 1 gallon go for another few months at least and see if the flavor improves. If I had to suggest something to anyone interested in using wine yeast in a beer, K1116 isn't a great choice of strains.

I used K-1116 once in a series of cider experiments and thought it was just awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hmm. I've never used that strain of brett by itself as a secondary. I know that as a primary it tastes like pineapple that is about to go bad

That is actually a pretty fantastic description. I've been saying pineapple and mango, but that really just cuts to the chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used K-1116 once in a series of cider experiments and thought it was just awful.

I rebrewed the same beer with K1116 recently but this time I dry hopped it with Amarillo and added a tiny bit of citric acid. I force carbed it last week and it tastes much better. I'm not sure it's a beer I'd brew again with this exact recipe but it's definitely drinkable.

Today I'm going to take a gravity reading of a similar beer I brewed two weeks ago with GRE. If it tastes good I'm going to brew a 5 gallon batch of a simple lambic recipe and ferment it completely with GRE. Then after primary, rack it on top of a year old yeast cake from a sour stout.

So, I just took a sample of mine to see how it's progressing. It tastes amazing. There's malt, a bit if earthy/spicy flavor from the fuggle hops, orange blossom, strawberry, and a moderate balance of funk. The noise is all funk right note but that should mature into a more rounded profile in time. I would recommend this yeast blend for a brown. I'm not sue how it would do without the malt flavor balancing it out.

My second wine yeast recipe is much better I think than my first attempt. It's pretty basic, pilsner malt with a tiny bit of cara pils and melanoiden. I used styrian for bitter and flavor hops then EKG for dry hopping. I fermented half with wlp001 and the other half with GRE. It turned out really well! It tastes dry yet sweet, it's hard to describe. But it does have a nice combo of slight malt and floral flavors with a hint of berry. My next beer is going to be a basic lambic recipe with GRE for primary then I'm going to rerack on a 16 month old sour yeast cake.

I'm brewing today a beer I'm going to primary with GRE and rerack on the yeast cake of a Rodenbach Grand Cru clone that's been in the secondary for 16 months (I used the Wyeast lambic blend in that beer). I'm using the same recipe I did for my last beer with GRE, which I think is the best beer I've brewed so far. This time, however, I just added a tablespoon of wheat flower after the mash right before the boil, which is happening now. It'll be really interesting to see how the flavor develops while it's on the sour yeast cake.

I made a beer with wine yeast and Brett last year. The initial beer was a sort of Belgian IPA with Pils, Flaked Spelt and some sugar and all El Dorado hops. Pitched WLP550 and Lalvin 71B, one of the ones listed as not killer and good for beer in that podcast.

The behavior of the yeast was interesting. It started to build a krauesen, but then, I presume when the wine yeast started taking over a bit more after about 24 hours, the head dropped and was dead. The fermentation then looked like a mead fermentation, with that kind of fizzing at the top but no real formation of a krauesen.

The beer went from 1.071 down to 1.016, but I wanted it lower. Sure, 77.5% attenuation, but I used some sugar and expected it to drop more and it wasn't going down. It was done. And it still tasted sweet to me.

I had a Rye beer, a sort of Rye IPA I had made with Brett Trois from White Labs. I bottled that and had about a liter left in the bottom, with the yeast, and racked straight on top of that with this wine-beer.

It started up again and took it down ten more points to 1.006.

The resulting beer was extraordinary. There was an incredible fruitiness. Dry hopped it with El Dorado as well and some of that came through, some winey notes, some Brett Trois fruitiness. Very strange but quit pleasant. I think Brett and wine yeasts can work nicely together. I haven't tried it again. Busy with other craziness, but it's a fun experiment.

Back