WLP500, WLP515, and Safbrew T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropitlikesitshot

Reaction score
I decided to brew a Belgium Dubbel using WLP500, WLP515, and Safbrew T-58 to see what would happen.

The WLP500 trappist ale took 48 hours to get going, but when it finally started it smelled sweet and bananas.

The WLP515 Antwerp ale (platinum series) started in 12 hours and smell peppery and phenolic.

The Safbrew T-58 started in 4 hours! and the airlock was filled with trub. Smells sweet, but not as sweet or bananas as the WLP500.

The WLP500 and the WLP515 are bottle conditioning now and I'll write tasting notes when they are ready. I just brewed the T-58 last night so I'll post updates on it as well.

The recipes are for the WLP500 and the WLP515 are carbon copies, the T-58 is slightly different but similar enough to compare.

I'll post the grain bill on request. Oh by the way these are 1 gallon batches. It's a GREAT change up from brewing 5 and 6 gallon brews and it makes GREAT yeast starters once you find the one you like.

Did you actually brew 3 different beers?

I've been doing split batches lately. Good to learn from.

The WLP500/Wyeast 1214 is usually a slow starter but has no problem finishing up. Banana dominates when it's young but ages out for a nice, complex beer.

Haven't brewed with the others, but have drank plenty of T-58 from others and don't really like it. Fairly simple character with some bubblegum when it's young-ish, which is how I've usually had it.

Let us know how yours develop over time.

Lively bunch.

Anyway, yes three different batches (one batch/wort split into two different yeast) all having its own different yeast strain (WLP500, WLP515, T-58).

Remember these are 1 gallon batch. The grain: 2lbs Belgian Pilsner, .25 Munich, .2 Special B, .15 Crystal 60. The Hops: 1 ounce Stryian Golding (1/3 @ 30mins). Adjunct: .25lb Priming sugar (WLP500 and WLP515) and .25lb Dark candy sugar (T-58).

Mashed at 150F for 60 mins then stepped to 168F for 10 mins.

The one batch that was split into WLP500 and WLP515 I achieved a O.G. of 1.062. The Antwerp was able to eat to 1.010 (ABV 6.9%) and the Trappist to 1.012 (ABV 6.7%).

The T-58 had a O.G. of 1.050 so we'll see what it gets down to. It does seems that it was finished in 24 hours (remember this batch is fermenting in three 1/2 gallon growlers...over sparged a tad...prob resulted in lower O.G. compared to WLP515 and WLP500).

Next post should be F.G. of T-58 in a while.

Back