WLP095 sposed to be Conan???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Hi all, been reading some conflicting reports on this "newer" strain from whitelabs. Anyone used it, or have some solid answers to exactly where its from?

Here's a FB post from a HBS.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 4.28.27 PM.png

Alchemist isn't from Burlington though. I know Vermont is a small state but the brewery in Waterbury is still about an hour away from Burlington. In fact, there's a full 12 breweries closer to Burlington than Alchemist!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/...35fe519720e498e!4m2!1d-73.212072!2d44.4758825

I'm gettin' REAL TIRED of these mutha****in' yeast manufacturers and their mutha****in' geographical improprieties!

Alchemist isn't from Burlington though. I know Vermont is a small state but the brewery in Waterbury is still about an hour away from Burlington. In fact, there's a full 12 breweries closer to Burlington than Alchemist!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/...35fe519720e498e!4m2!1d-73.212072!2d44.4758825

I'm gettin' REAL TIRED of these mutha****in' yeast manufacturers and their mutha****in' geographical improprieties!

im guessing they are getting at it's a "New England" style yeast maybe?

Just a question:mug:

It's definitely Conan. Wyeast and Gigayeast both have symmetrical strains harvested from Heady Topper.

I went straight to the source for my Conan. :D

Asheville brewers supply may have gotten bad information from me. Sorry about that. Small world! That WL strain is known for diacetyl & flocs out. Not typical Conan traits.

Hey jessup, can you clarify? Cuz i used it from ABS and am getting some drastically different results than the Conan I've used in the past.

Might want to actually google a bit before internet raging.

Go research where Alchemist got their yeast from. It's out there on the net.

Plus the 30 minute (def not an hour) ride from Waterbury to bernington is negligible. It's a silly point imo its very close. Why didn't AlB call the ECY northeast yeast the New England strain?

Good to know. "Conan" is supposed to give off its trademark esters after a couple generations, is this what you guys have found?

Might want to actually google a bit before internet raging.

Go research where Alchemist got their yeast from. It's out there on the net.

It was a joke. Plus, I've been to Vermont Pub and Brewery, it's nothing special. Regardless of its genesis, Conan has been immortalized by Heady Topper.

Asheville brewers supply may have gotten bad information from me. Sorry about that. Small world! That WL strain is known for diacetyl & flocs out. Not typical Conan traits.

I used The Omega Yeast Lab Conan strain for the first time recently and it put off some diacetyl for me. It was there at about day 4-5 of fermentation. I'm sure it will be gone by the time I keg, but I've never had it in Chico for example, so maybe they just meant it has more diacetyl than a WlP001, which they kind of compare/contrast it with in their description.

I just pitched some wort on WLP 095 yeast cake about 5 hours ago and it's already at full krausen and blowing off through the blowoff tube. The first beer I brewed with it was a RyeDIPA and it's quite estery, although that seems to be smoothing out over time. I like this yeast, it flocced decently for me, and attenuated well. I will be using it again in the future

I just pitched some wort on WLP 095 yeast cake about 5 hours ago and it's already at full krausen and blowing off through the blowoff tube. The first beer I brewed with it was a RyeDIPA and it's quite estery, although that seems to be smoothing out over time. I like this yeast, it flocced decently for me, and attenuated well. I will be using it again in the future

I just bought a pack of WLP095 to try as well. What temp did you use on the RyeDIPA? Did you have temp control?

To add to this thread... omega gen 1 omega attenuated poorly, flocculated well & was highly diacetyl. Gen 2 was underpitched & tore through it voraciously & is very hazy, albeit with 20% wheat/oats. Typical i suppose. WL version yet to be used, though.

To add to this thread... omega gen 1 omega attenuated poorly, flocculated well & was highly diacetyl. Gen 2 was underpitched & tore through it voraciously & is very hazy, albeit with 20% wheat/oats. Typical i suppose. WL version yet to be used, though.

interesting! i was going to skip saving this batch of Omega Labs yeast, as it didn't really attenuate as well as I had hoped so far and had some diacetyl. Maybe I'll save a mason jar of it and try it again.

Used this yeast in a Pale Ale
OG 1.056
FG 1.011
Had My fermentation chamber at 64f.

Will be interesting to taste when the Keg is carbed

Any updates from those of you who were recently going to use WLP095? How Conan like was it?

Any updates from those of you who were recently going to use WLP095? How Conan like was it?

Huge grain of salt required here, but I used Omega's Conan strain about a month ago for the first time. I just did a beer using the WLP095, and the general character of the beer seemed similar to me. I think they are in the same ballpark at least. The mouthfeel is the most striking part of the beers produced using this yeast. It is very full without the super crisp, dry edge of US-05/WLP001. I can't speak to a detailed comparison though obviously.

Got an email from White Labs today:

All I can say is that it is very similar to most Conan strains, although the exact origins and use aren’t something we actually disclose outside of those that absolutely need to know in the company (and unfortunately I am never one of those people). Even if it was that strain, strains change over time and under different sourcing conditions so they become a different strain rather quickly.

WLP095 seems very similar to GY Vermont IPA to me, though WLP095 has been a more consistent fermentor. I've never gotten stone fruit from WLP095 though, so it may be an older strain that didn't get as much of that character as the deviations that have become the current Conan diaspora...

Back