WLP007 for Pliny the Elder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I happen to have WLP007 on hand and wondering how 007 would work for a Pliny the Elder clone?

With the massive load of hops (13 oz.), will there be much difference in perceivable esters if using 007 and temperature controlled instead of 001 or another Chico strain?

I am brewing the MoreBeer Pliny clone.

I wouldn't have a problem using 007 in a double IPA. It will be drier than one of the other yeasts you mentioned... but still good!

It'll be just fine. Keep it cooler initially and raise it slowly to reduce esters. I've had trouble lately with it attenuating properly so be sure to get a good starter going.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use WLP007 for basically everything, including IPAs. I don't think you'll notice any esters. Fantastic yeast, better beer!

While I haven't had a Pliny, nor can I get it here in LAs Vegas, NV, I would like to make something reasonably close.

I made this beer and split the batch a while ago. I used 001, 007, and 1450. I personally thought 007 made the better beer. It is my favorite IPA yeast, along with 1450 surprisingly enough. I've had trouble with Chico being predictable. I hardly use it anymore. I would use 007 in it for sure with no hesitation.

I've been using 007 for Arrogant Bastard and a Double Bastard clone. I like the way it flocculates and congeals when done. In my opinion, it makes for a clearer yeast-free beer.

Let us know. It is a yeast that I have been meaning to get my hands on. I did mine with WLP 090. Im sure you'll be fine by keeping the temperature on the lower side.

Back