WLP002 - weird fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBanana

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I did my fourth brew over the easter weekend, an all grain ESB.

I'm posting because this is the weirdest fermentation ever. Normally, with my previous brews, in around 24 hours the airlock comes to life, and there is a noticeable smell in the air. With this brew, for the last 72 hours I've assumed it's stuck in the Lag phase because there was no airlock activity and no smell, and I was starting to get worried. Until, I took a gravity reading just now, It's currently at 1.012 down from 1.050.

I had a taste, apart from a slight buttery flavour (which could possibly be expected after 3 days), it tastes OK. Slightly sweet but again that's to be expected from this strain.

My question is, WTF? I looked at the krausen last night and that looked extremely thin. All signs pointed to a total lack of activity but the hydrometer indicates it's nearly done. I think the FV is sealed, my last brew (an American IPA using WLP001) bubbled like crazy for days. Reading other posts about this strain, people do seem to have really varying mileage with this strain, but this is just nuts.

Also, one other question, I go on holidays in a few days and am away for 10 days. In my over-eagerness to brew I didn't really consider that. I think the batch will probably have to mellow as-is for about 3 weeks all told. Does anyone think that's a problem?

Thanks guys, you are all a great help with this crazy but fun hobby.

Every fermentation is different - even if you do the same recipe with the same yeast. You may see/smell/hear/taste different things during fermentation. Your hydrometer reading proved your beer fermented, and is also why so many people advise not to rely only on airlock activity.

The butter flavor you're tasting is diacytel. I used WLP002 once and don't recall diacytel, but who knows? Raise the temp up a bit and the yeast should clear that up. If I recall correctly 002 is also a frequent staller, so maybe lightly jostle the fermenter a bit to get the yeast back in solution so it cleans up.

As far as going away for 10 days, your beer will be fine. I routinely leave my beers for 3 weeks before I even think about them. Your beer may even benefit from more time on the yeast.

Good you're enjoying the addiction/hobby. On to the next brew when you get back.:mug:

002 (and Wyeast's version of the same thing, 1968) are really fast workers, so having active fermentation finish quickly is totally normal.

The buttery thing is likely diacetyl, which 002 is known for. As noted above, raise the temp and let it sit. The yeast should consume the diacetyl and clean it up.

002 is strange. Only used it once on a Firestone Walker double jack clone. I got it to cool, first time using fermentation chamber, and if flocced out and stalled. Almost impossible to get that mess back into suspension. It's like jello.
I will use it again at some point, I'm sure, but I'm not in a hurry.

Back