No hop aroma - Doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
One of my favorite aspects of brew day is smelling the hops. I just love that aroma. I was getting my hops ready for brew day yesterday, opened the first bag and smelled... nothing. No smell at all. I thought that was weird. Opened another bag, smelled... nothing. Third bag... nothing. There is no way in hell three separate bags of hops had lost all their aroma. But the brew day went on as planned.

Today it dawned on me.... I was diagnosed with covid last week and I had not noticed that I had lost all sense of smell. It is the weirdest thing.

That's gotta suck. I still haven't had Covid although literally everyone I know has gone at least one round with it. None of them had a profound loss of smell - or taste - but some did have their senses attenuated enough to notice.

Get better soonest! :mug:

Yeah, this is my first round. Luckily a mild case. Had totally forgotten about the loss of smell thing.

I think I had the rona back in the beginning though I never got tested. It was so bad that the only reasons I suspect I had it was because I lost my sense of taste and smell. At first I didn’t think much of it, figured my senses were dulled from smoking cigars. But then, after a few weeks they started coming back. That’s when it occurred to me that I may have had it. Any how, glad to hear that it’s been mild for you as well and congratulations on building natural immunity to it.

I've had the vid several times, my second stint was the time I lost my smell and taste. Smell came back after a couple freakin months but it wasn't 100% right away, taste was the same way. It was the worst.. I remember after having no smell for quite some time I woke up one morning to the smell of bacon being cooked, yes bacon, which is always a smell at the top of the awesome list but that morning it was like smelling bacon for the first time, and my sense of smell started its return. Bacon brought a tear to my eye that morning. I ran around the house with joyous laughter hugging everyone, the kids thought I lost my marbles, my wife just shook her head... anyhow.. I hope your senses return to normal at a faster rate than mine.
Cheers

When I had covid I lost smell, but not taste, well into having the illness: the worst was over, I was feeling much better several days on, ate dinner, all was good. A bit later I had some Doritos and they tasted really bland. I hunted around for one of the ones that has extra seasoning on it, and that was bland, too.

Then I realized what had happened. It was crazy how quick it disappeared, like a switch. You might have lost it just before brewing.

I could still taste (salty, sweet, etc) but none of the smell component that is most of what we think of as flavor. I hate bananas, so I ate one for the novelty. No gross banana "flavor" but my stomach still turned a bit because it was a banana.

It came back slowly starting after a few days to a week, and by a month or 2 I was back to normal.

I caught Covid last Sep during a road trip. I didn't have much appetite when I was sick, but what food I ate tasted and smelled fine.

A month or so later my sense of smell became muted somewhat, but taste was still ok. Which is strange, as olfactory is a part of taste.

Anyway, I couldn't get much aroma from food or drink of any kind, but the flavor came across just fine.

By Christmas, everything was back to normal, after a couple months of attenuated sense of smell.

I've heard the stories of some with long Covid who would completely lose both taste and smell for several months or even a year. Glad I dodged that.

I did have a cough for about 6 weeks, which sucked.

Back