WLP001 - Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchawk

Reaction score
I've made several wlp001 starters in the past in a 2L flask with 200g light DME, on a stir plate for 24 hours then settled out in the fridge. Normally I end up with extremely apparent fermentation meaning it's normally hard to keep this yeast contained.

I know fermentation is different every time but this time there were no visible signs of fermentation, no bubbles when I shook the flask and very evident clearing.

Also the yeast ring at the bottom does not appear to be as large as normal.

My question is... Do you think it's still safe to use? I'm fine giving it a little longer to take off but figured I'd ask what you guys think first.

I attached some pictures.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

I'm sure if you pitched it, it would ferment eventually, but might take awhile to get started. Looks like the yeast didn't really get going in that starter. Maybe an older yeast vial? Or maybe before it got to you wasn't stored well and there was a fair amount of non-viable yeast? Putting it back on the stir plate for another 24 if you have the time might not be a bad idea.

I'm sure if you pitched it, it would ferment eventually, but might take awhile to get started. Looks like the yeast didn't really get going in that starter. Maybe an older yeast vial? Or maybe before it got to you wasn't stored well and there was a fair amount of non-viable yeast? Putting it back on the stir plate for another 24 if you have the time might not be a bad idea.

That's kind of what I was thinking but then that pushes brew day out a week. I could put it back on and then put the yeast back in the fridge until I'm ready.

I suppose I don't have to decide for another couple hours as I wasn't planning to brew until 1pm.

I've had that happen before where it took a lot longer than I expected to get a starter going. After that I started keeping backup packs of dry yeast in the fridge so that if it happened again I wouldn't have to make the tough call whether to say screw it and brew or push back a brewday.

Good luck!

What about brewing, pitching and if it isn't going in a couple days just stop at the homebrew store and grab another yeast tube and pitch it in as well?

I've under-pitched before. You can get more esters in the beer, and some more phenolics (there are some styles you do this to intentionally to create those flavors) as the yeast will have to work harder to get up to snuff to ferment the batch, but I don't think it's going to be so bad it completely destroys the character of the beer or anything. Probably just a slight fruityness to the background of the beer. But within 48 hours you should see signs of fermentation.

And yeah, worst case scenario you end up pitching more yeast in a little later if nothing is happening.

I'm going to put it back on the stir plate and see if we get fermentation in a day or two in the starter. If not I'll just chuck it and start over with a fresh vial from the hbs.

First non-start starter ever. :(

Looks to be going now after another bit on the stir plate. Any issues with settling out for a second time and using this weekend coming? I pour off before pitching and use a little of the new wort to swirl.

Any concerns about viability after battering the yeast through two crashes?

It should be fine. might be a little stress on the yeast, but if anything it might just lag a bit at the start.

Brewed today. Pulled the starter out of the fridge after having it hang out since Tuesday. Decanted and left just a little liquid on top of the yeast cake.

I left it out while I brewed. Swirled, pitched and I have active signs of fermentation after 3 hours.

Looks like we're good to go.

As a side note I usually like to sample a small part of what gets poured off and things tasted as expected.

Thanks everyone, glad I waited.

Back