WLP 720 for Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrudoc

Reaction score
Anyone fermented a beer w/ WLP 720? There's one mention on one website that this strain was sourced from Hoegaarden's Verboten Vrucht but I've never read anything / heard from anyone that has used this yeast to make a beer. Any real brewing experiences are appreciated.
homebrudoc

Genetically, WLP720 is indeed a close relative to witbier yeasts. I haven't used WLP720 in anything besides mead but it's definitely worth a try if you are interested.

I was trying to find it on the various "genetic trees" that are out there but couldn't find it. Thus, this post. I may just make a wit-like malt grist and give it a whirl! Thanks
homebrudoc

Apologies, it is Wyeast 3463 that is a close cousin to WLP400 and 3787. I am not immediately aware of whether WLP720 specifically was genomically tested. Source for WLP720 / 3463 equivalency was Kristen England, if his ancient data is to be believed. Genetic tree from 2019 shows this:

1694096288978.png

Not that I doubt Kristen, it's just that his suggestion is the only thing out there. Again, I may just put together a grist and give it a whirl. It is a hobby, after all.
homebrudoc

Brewed a Tripel with that yeast and turned out fantastic! I also used orange peels and a very small amount of Italian licorice to spice things up.
Karmeliet clones also mention that yeast in some recipes.

Latest posts

Back